POLL: Do better foods improve FISH coloration?

Do better foods improve fish coloration?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I wanted to see what everyone’s experiences was with this. For the past few months, I have been feeding a mixture of dry foods such as flakes and pellets. I started to notice the coloration of my Midas blenny was changing. His beautiful blues eyes were turning more into a grey blue. I wanted to see if I could fix this. I picked up some LRS Reef Frenzy and all of my fishes coloration had improved drastically. That eye is back to the same beautiful blue color, he has a wider color palette during the day instead of being around the same color, and my royal grammas purple color especially is stunning

Little shameless plug, I will be posting a YouTube video about this soon on my channel, Oceans Piece. (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCEWCIj6yc7Goxg-ez80CbuA)

Tell me y’all’s experiences!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do research on R2Rs search function using keyword "Selcon"

.... or Google

It's a vitamin and fatty acid and lipid supplement that many manufactured fish foods can't offer. and you can't reproduce in your kitchen with fresh deli food

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that you posted this. I was just thinking about making a post about feeding as it seems to be a topic that comes up over and over.

I feed a mix of frozen and dry foods. Here is my procedure.

I take an 8 oz mason jar and fill it with about 3 or 4 oz of tank water. To this I add about 12 cubes of various frozen foods. Saltwater multi-pack, Brine, Mysis, Emerald Entree, Plankton, and Bloodworm. To this I add a couple fat tablespoons of Marine flake food and finally 1/2 teaspoon of Benepets for the corals.

I add this mixture to my tanks based on size and fishload. 1 teaspoon to 32g, 8 fish, 1 shrimp and a half dozen coral frags.

1 tablespoon to the 55g, 14 fish, 2 shrimp, and at least 3 dozen corals from frag to small colony.

2 tablespoons in the 180. FOWLR predator tank. Heaviest food load but also heaviest eaters.

This has worked for me for quite a while. My fish are happy, healthy and active. My corals are likewise happy and healthy.

I also spot feed the corals a couple times a month. I don't keep a rigid schedule on this, just something I do when I think about it. 1/2 teaspoon of Benipets to 2 tablespoons water and dosed with a pipette.

Also, I occasionally feed a pinch of dry flakes to the tanks.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want food rich in carotenoids. https://tankaddict.com/definition-carotenoid/

I work with salmonids, it is standard practice to have feed with added astaxanthin. It improves fish health as well as color up the fish, eggs and skin.
Interesting
I would do research on R2Rs search function using keyword "Selcon"

.... or Google

It's a vitamin and fatty acid and lipid supplement that many manufactured fish foods can't offer. and you can't reproduce in your kitchen with fresh deli food
will do for sure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back