POLL: Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 414 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 375 45.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 36 4.4%

• Total voters

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nuke them when I see them
Their is one in the back that could host a clown its 3" diameter.
Its just below the 4" anthia.
20220204_160139.jpg

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220125_175130.jpg

This is a picture of me filling up my 30ml syringe out of the industrial size aptasia X bottle. So yes I have an aptasia problem, and still no solution.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a coral piece from the local fish store I thought I seen one but wasn't sure. A month later the zoas that were on it started to part like the red sea. There he was so proud. My coral glue gave him a permanent home.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did but a got rid of it by physically removing and or gluing over every one that popped up, now I haven’t seen any in months

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aiptasia i current tank. Last tank had two of them that I killed by injecting them with boiling water using a syringe. Never saw another one again after that.

ilikebeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm your huckleberry.. I will try it on one. an see how it goes
Forgot to mention,
Lemon juice has an PH of 2-3 so only nuke a couple a day (depends on your water volume) and keep an eye on PH of you tank.
Keep this in mind and I am sure you will come out on top.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention,
Lemon juice has an PH of 2-3 so only nuke a couple a day (depends on your water volume) and keep an eye on PH of you tank.
Keep this in mind and I am sure you will come out on top.
Got a lemon tree in the back yard.. and watching the params/...lemon shot is coming to one of my not so friend of mine.
1644069740629.png

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had loads all over my old tank but I needed more rock when I upgraded my system so I added some extra live rock and suddenly they started vanishing. I haven't seen any in my tank in a year at this point my old tank (alot of my current LR is out of) was overrun. Not sure what hitched a ride on that rock, I can add a frag with loaded with aiptasia and they'll be gone within a day or 2.

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went all napalm on one last night. I had two in my tank that I saw a couple weeks ago. Applied AiptasiaX, one died, one moved to another spot - the one I saw last night....I'd recently redone my scape, so no corals on the rock he was in (lucky)...I took the rock out as it had some purple clove polyps on it as well, and fired up the ol blow torch :) I cooked that sucker and all his clovey friends!!! Bwhahahahahahahha....it felt good deep down :)
flame thrower fire GIF

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had loads all over my old tank but I needed more rock when I upgraded my system so I added some extra live rock and suddenly they started vanishing. I haven't seen any in my tank in a year at this point my old tank (alot of my current LR is out of) was overrun. Not sure what hitched a ride on that rock, I can add a frag with loaded with aiptasia and they'll be gone within a day or 2.
Not pushing back in this...

So breaking it down...
bioload /surface area and export = control...

All systems are different... but your concept is interesting

For me I have 3 small clusters. They live there life .. and don't sting anything as of yet.

Mushrooms are just as bad.. Researching now how to move them... dont want to give them a lemon

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a problem with them in my old tank. My butterfly was fantastic until she ate corals. In my new set up, I have seen only 3 in the display. I added one peppermint and used the aiptasia x and have not seen anymore since.

In my lps and growout tank I keep peppermints in case they pop up. Only a few before they eat them up.

In my traveling tank, I had a little peppermint, but had to use aiptasia exit on the two that shot up.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently spotted two little transparent ones in a back chamber of my AIO. Drained the chamber, wiped it down, filled with RO, drained again and refilled with saltwater. They lived. I'm considering putting one of my peppermint shrimps back there to take care of the little darlings before they decide to reproduce and become a problem, but I don't really relish the idea of trying to get the shrimp back out again. The aiptasias are still quite small. Wondering if since they are on a smooth surface if a large syringe could be used to just suck them out? Is manual removal always asking for trouble?

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few. Two Peppermint Shrimp took care of them. Haven't seen any for over a year.

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently spotted two little transparent ones in a back chamber of my AIO. Drained the chamber, wiped it down, filled with RO, drained again and refilled with saltwater. They lived. I'm considering putting one of my peppermint shrimps back there to take care of the little darlings before they decide to reproduce and become a problem, but I don't really relish the idea of trying to get the shrimp back out again. The aiptasias are still quite small. Wondering if since they are on a smooth surface if a large syringe could be used to just suck them out? Is manual removal always asking for trouble?
Since the chemicals for killing them are basically lye. Why not drain the tank, fill it with lye water (take necessary precautions when handling lye*) and soak them for an hour or two. I have used lye for removing stubborn organisms on rocks and it works well. It does kill everything so make sure you use it only where you want it. *Wear gloves, eye protection and keep away from children and pets. To dispose of pour it down your kitchen sink. It will help clean the drain.

Back