Poll: Do you ramp your display lights up and down?

How long do you ramp up/down your display lights?

• 0-1 hour

Votes: 75 16.1%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 148 31.7%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 75 16.1%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • >4 hours

Votes: 22 4.7%
  • I don't - the lights are either on or off

Votes: 85 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED / T 5 s. 5 hour ramp up / down with my Hydras...2 B+ come on 3 hours into the ramp up , an hour later 2 C+ come on.An hour later the LEDs peak for 4 hours...then reverse the T 5s - an hour after peak the 2C + go off, another hour later the 2 B+ go off ,then 3 more hours for the LEDS ramping down.

We have similar setups for lighting.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, someone usually (and invariably) will state that ramping up/down is 'for the hobbyist, and the animals don't care'. Typically it is from somebody who has never tried it. While I would agree that light ramping is hardly the difference between success and failure, the fish absolutely notice. It is also true that many of the LED fixtures do a lousy job of properly ramping. I used the v1 reefbreeders fixtures for a while and they didn't get anywhere close to a full ramp up or down; likewise for the Kessil spots. Both shut off at around 12% (even if the controller says differently). But if you have a fixture, like the Gen4 Radion, that will dim down completely to darkness, the observable behavior changes in the fish is quite fascinating.

Yeah I can definitely say that my fish wake up and get a little motion going then at a certain time start their daily routines.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-stop. On the Kessils, intensity ramps from off to a max of 80% over six hours and then drops back to off over the following six hours for a 12 hour photo-period. I ramp color from 0% to 60% over two hours where it remains for eight hours until dropping back to 0%. The T5s are on for eight hours and I don't dim them (though I may start).

U

User1

View Badges
I have my DIY multi-channel LED's ramp up and down with a supplemental bar turn on around noon. Someone already said it but the fish do know so I think it helps. I've also used location settings on my controller to use sunrise/set features along with storms and clouds. It is one of those things that everyone is still trying to see what the impact is to a tank in the long run. Before we had on/off, then timers, then some basic control features, now we can dim or more. Seems like a natural progression to me.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's come on and off a outlet timer on my nano.

LED on my large system. Blue on at 8am, whites at 10, and reverse the order when going off at 8 and 10pm.

I keep it simple. Do I like a nice surprise rise and sunset on some lights, sure do!! But 90% of the time I'm not home.e to enjoy it, so I don't bother with it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back