Poll: Do you use Calcium Reactor or Dosing Pumps?

Which do you use?

• Calcium Reactor

Votes: 81 23.7%
  • Dosing Pump

Votes: 196 57.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 65 19.0%

• Total voters

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a combo led/t5/pc over a 125g
ATI coral+
Ai sol blue/ 2x 24" pc (50/50 and 420/460) / ai sol blue
ATI purple+

No more fit in the canopy lol. The 180 will get 2 more ATI blue + added

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know. I can't tell you that my for a while I was getting pretty lazy and my levels were all over the place and I still didn't lose any acros. But I might have just been lucky.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of my topoff is Kalkwasser. During the summer time I may got through over 35gallons of water a day. The majority is Kalk. If the system pH is too high the RO water is diverted past the Kalk mixer. I used to believe that I only needed to add Kalk to the mixer when the slurry at the bottom was depleted...So I would add Kalk every 4-6 months. I learned this was wrong. There is lots of 'crap' left after the Kalk is mixed in solution. I added a pH probe to the Kalk mixer, and now I know when to add additional Kalk. In the winter time it's every 2-3 weeks. In the summer time with bigger evaporation number its every 10-14 Days. Each time I add Kalk I am adding 4-10 cups. I have a custom Avast Kalk Mixer which is almost 10gallons.

I use Calcium Reactor 24/7. Adding a pH probe into the Reactor helps dial it in quickly and more importantly lets me know right away when the Rx is clogged, out of CO2 or out of media. All my equipment is outside, so I don't 'check' it regularly.

Adding both the Kalk and Calc to the Apex with pH probes was a huge step in making both devices more stable and reliable.

Dave B

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo calcium reactor on a controller on a SPS dominate tank. Very easy to set up.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part. 160mls of alk and 92mls of cal./ day. East set up and to dial in. Leave it alone. You need to replace the pump tube 1x per year at 5 bucks. I got my set up for 150 bucks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back