Poll: Have you had coral Spawn in Your Tank?

Have you had corals spawn in your tank?

• Yes - SPS Coral

Votes: 62 10.7%
  • Yes - LPS Coral

Votes: 73 12.6%
  • Yes - Softies

Votes: 85 14.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 32 5.5%
  • No - Not that I've ever noticed

Votes: 368 63.6%
  • No - I don't believe it happens in captivity

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Other - Discuss in thread

Votes: 6 1.0%

• Total voters

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance coral egg
20171216_083149.jpg

My female haddoni

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never witnessed a spawning event in my tank (as far as I know). I have contemplated putting a tank within full view of the moon, in front of a huge window and below a sky light/ceiling window... but I'm hesitant cause everyone says the direct sunlight causes algae issues.

I have Phyllangia americana (hidden cup corals) that started as one polyp. There are multiple polyps now, some of which have spread to other distant rocks. Not sure if that is a different form of reproduction though, anyone know?

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Aptasia count? ;) jk. I just recently added frags so I have a ways to go to witness this phenomenon

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blastos do this occasionally. I found some on a rock on the other side of the tank

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as others have stated. I have green Pocillopora all over in my tank.:) Never again will I put that “weed” in my tank. ;Brb Then Rock flower Nems are all over.
I’ve had the opportunity to see both species spawn in addition to my Acro Crabs spawn in my tank. A very unique thing that happens. The Nems become very tall and cylindrical with a small head.

Gahngoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am another who will never have pocillopora in a tank again. It is everywhere at this point. I also saw my hammer coral spawning. at first I thought there were small pods coming out of the coral then I realized it was spawning. I did not have any additional hammer coral show up in my tank so I guess it was not successful.

I have a large wall hammer (about 24"across) that just spawned last night. First time I've seen it do that in ten years. I have had palythoas spawn before. Looks like they're farting out little eggs.
20180401_200217.jpg

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve have had two spawning events since I began working at FishRUs, that I know of. Both times it was Euphyllia glabrescens. We have the product of both spawns propagating the coralline covered racks that we use to display. This little guy (though not so little any more) settled out from the first spawning event a year and a half ago. He’s attached to the grating. I’m waiting for him to grow a little more before attempting to remove him.

B236EA73-29AA-4D68-AAA1-99BDDBB00FF1.jpeg

Last edited:

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to SEE in person when it happens but I never did .. so my vote goes to No

In saying that, the ric has got its baby so it must have spawned but then again, seeing is believing, my vote still goes to No.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green pick would always spawn but....

I was actually able to capture one of my acros Spawning. It was amazing. I got tons of photos, and a couple videos. This is a teaser until tomorrow, I am literally about to fall asleep right now but check it out! I’ll post a video tomorrow

EC7EEB95-69A9-46A2-BE11-7928B903D5EE.jpeg

Aquamaniak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few baby toadstools which appeared under the big one, I didn't see them coming of though.
Also I think my trachyphillia spawned at least once, it released a white cloud while deflating itself. Or it could be waste lol. No babies seen.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa!!! that's freakin amazing. tell us everything!
Unfortunately there isn't much to tell lol.......I did a bunch of research and was expecting to see tiny Gold Torches popping up everywhere. What actually happened was the fish ate the eggs withing 30 seconds :(

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I've had anthelia spawn in a couple of tanks and I have video but it's locked up in a cloud. It shows hundreds of what I think are little eggs that travel up the stalks, out of the polyp head and then into the water. Before this, I thought anthelia simply multiplied via division. If I can figure out how to get the video, I'll post.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back