Poll: Have you had coral Spawn in Your Tank?

Have you had corals spawn in your tank?

• Yes - SPS Coral

Votes: 62 10.7%
  • Yes - LPS Coral

Votes: 73 12.6%
  • Yes - Softies

Votes: 85 14.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 32 5.5%
  • No - Not that I've ever noticed

Votes: 368 63.6%
  • No - I don't believe it happens in captivity

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Other - Discuss in thread

Votes: 6 1.0%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has every noticed/experienced any corals spawning in their tank. Let us know. The poll is multiple choice. Would love to hear the details if you have had noticed spawning - coral type, lighting, major element numbers, etc. The more details the better.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never add pocillipora to my tank ever again!!! Lol. I started with one mini colony on the complete left side of my tank and now it’s over all 6 feet of it. I haven’t actually witnessed the spawning but it definitely propagated. I’ve removed the colony and have picked a bunch of “babies” off of the rocks. Still some left, I get it as it pops up.

3 radion 30’s on a 6 foot 30” tall tank
Alk. 7.5 Dkh
Calc 440
Mag 1350
Sal 1.025

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, P.Damicornis. It LOVES the power cords in the tank. I had to remove a broken pump from the tank a few months ago, and had to break and chisel the stuff off to free the pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something periodically spawns in my tank. Since, like others, I have PD everywhere, I assume it's that (though most spread is probably polyp bailout). I also had a large squamosa clam that got very large and then spawned once before croaking.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora spreads through planuation -- release of live larvae. This is different from spawning, which is the release of gametes. Fun trivia, the babies produced in this manner by Pocillopora are 100% genetic clones of the mom.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am another who will never have pocillopora in a tank again. It is everywhere at this point. I also saw my hammer coral spawning. at first I thought there were small pods coming out of the coral then I realized it was spawning. I did not have any additional hammer coral show up in my tank so I guess it was not successful.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not that I have seen but I think it's awesome!

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have also had Green Pocillopora populate my tank. It is literally everywhere and very annoying to deal with. Thinking about changing out all of my live rock because of it when I move in the next 3 months. Will probably never keep any variety of Pocillopora again. I had it for about a year with no spawning or spreading issues, but then once I turned the moonlight setting on my AIs on I started to see babies the very next week or two.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I have also had Green Pocillopora populate my tank. It is literally everywhere and very annoying to deal with. Thinking about changing out all of my live rock because of it when I move in the next 3 months. Will probably never keep any variety of Pocillopora again. I had it for about a year with no spawning or spreading issues, but then once I turned the moonlight setting on my AIs on I started to see babies the very next week or two.

Ouch never thought of this side effect!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had the same thing with them, but don't think it's really breeding, I think it's polyp bailout - for sure reproduction but making identical copies, not sexual reproduction which spawning is.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was in the clear too and BOOM. Starts spreading again. I just donated my 8” colony to my local reef club and I’ve been giving away the spores to people who want them... with a warning lol.

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched my Rock Anemones spawning a few times. Unfortunately, I only have 2 babies that I'm aware of.
20161002_204517.jpg

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rock flowers spawn in my 135 and have had a few babies grow, the largest is half dollar sized now. Most of my rock flowers are on a rock that the feed mode flow goes right across. This means that every time I feed the fish any hungry nem gets to eat so I'm guessing the constand available food has led to spawns. I haven't documented the spawns enough to point out a pattern but for now I can say they only spawn at night and the babies take a LONG time to grow haha.
System details
135 G, part of a 300 G system
T5/Led lighting
CA 420
KH 8
Mg 1300
P04 .1
N03 20
I feed frozen brine, plankton/mysis with some flakes added in, twice a day.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've seen some different types of coral reproduction at work. We've had Fungia that spawned. And probably the same type of clonal larvae reproduction as P. damicornis, but with Seriatopora caliendrum. And sun corals spreading, but that's polyp bailout I guess.
And then I found these eggs in a Acropora staghorn last year:
IMG_2629.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG

I think it's egg- and sperm bundles very close to spawning.
Too bad we don't work at night, probably a lot of fun is happening:)

I'm a big fan of the work of Jamie Craggs, inducing coral spawning in aquariums. I hope we will have the time to try do something similar in the future.

/ David

Yati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from year 1 into year 2 of me reefing I had a spawning and didnt know it, i remember going to my LFS saying I woke up and it looked like someone poured milk into my tank, I did a huge water change well little did I know I messed up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back