OP
M

Mikedawg8898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking about just floating the corals in the bags to temp acclimate instead of crowding my rank.
If you can keep the temp in the bucket the same as the DT throughout the duration of the floating of the bags, i see no problem. the only problem would be is if the bucket temp changes during the floating. whereas in the DT it has a heater and such to keep the temp stable

Iamjeff6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep the temp in the bucket the same as the DT throughout the duration of the floating of the bags, i see no problem. the only problem would be is if the bucket temp changes during the floating. whereas in the DT it has a heater and such to keep the temp stable

I always run a heater and power head when I mix water

Saberfal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dip right away. Depending on the frag, I'll also scrape and brush with hydrogen peroxide. Then right to the tank after a good rinse.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
milk water droplet GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
acclimate.jpg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lately it appears the most crucial step is to drop them on the garage floor while trying to trim the frag plug and trying to wash the sawdust off with tap water before dropping them in

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im actually acclimating a bunch right now from RAP Chicago. Im at hour # 2.

Last edited:

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my second ever batch of corals in my DT today and I skipped acclimation because they arrived during the working day and I had an unexpected busy day ahead. I dipped them, just didn’t bother with temperature or drip acclimation. I may live to regret it but they were cheap and hardy softies so hopefully I’ll be okay.

The process I went through was a 20 minute dip with the dip itself mixed with fresh sea water, then a quick rinse and shake in a bucket of RO water, then the same in a bucket of tank water, then into the DT. Since I’m very new to corals I’m learning as I go, but there’s such a diversity of opinions on the acclimation process for them (as evidenced by this thread), it’s hard to figure out what to do.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my second ever batch of corals in my DT today and I skipped acclimation because they arrived during the working day and I had an unexpected busy day ahead. I dipped them, just didn’t bother with temperature or drip acclimation. I may live to regret it but they were cheap and hardy softies so hopefully I’ll be okay.

The process I went through was a 20 minute dip with the dip itself mixed with fresh sea water, then a quick rinse and shake in a bucket of RO water, then the same in a bucket of tank water, then into the DT. Since I’m very new to corals I’m learning as I go, but there’s such a diversity of opinions on the acclimation process for them (as evidenced by this thread), it’s hard to figure out what to do.
Wait, you shook then in RO water???
I hope they are okay.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Uh oh-
Thats called . . . . . . . . .

acclimate.jpg

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temperature acclimate for around 20 to 30 minutes. Then, I do 3 times 10 minute where I add some tank water to the bag or bucket so that's 30 minutes. I mix Dr. G's, Reef Dip, Coral RX and Revive. I do a 10 minute dip then, 2 fresh saltwater rinses before placing into my frag tank. 1 hour total time. NO BUGS!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

there is no reason to shake a coral in RO water - but - my guess is they will be ok.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uh oh-
Thats called . . . . . . . . .

acclimate.jpg
NO thats called dip in a hypotonic solution for no reason - and shake - and then drop - which Is Imho - totally irresponsible, unreasonable, and not recommended.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would suggest in the future - the way to learn as you go - is to read and research how to acclimate corals. It seems like you're making up your own protocol based on several others - which BTW - since corals are (IMHO) relatively hardy - will not cause a problem. Going forward - just follow the recommendations from whomever you buy the coral - and you will probably be ahead of the curve. JMHO

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dip and toss acros. I don't bother with temp or salinity acclimation and have never had an issue.
you dip and toss acros how? In RODI? IN a product? Just curious?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back