Poll: How Many Fish per Gallon?

How do you determine how many fish per gallon?

• Old Rule of Thumb - 1" of fish per gallon

Votes: 39 5.7%
  • Certain number of fish per gallon

Votes: 20 2.9%
  • It's based on the age and bio load capacity

Votes: 298 43.5%
  • It's based on fish species

Votes: 245 35.8%
  • I just wing it

Votes: 158 23.1%
  • I ask R2R before adding a new fish

Votes: 43 6.3%
  • Other (discuss in thread)

Votes: 36 5.3%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use as a guideline for your stocking density? Is it a certain number per gallon? Is it a certain number of inches of fish per gallon? Is it based on the age and bio capacity of your tank? Or do you just wing it?

It's an age old question and often asked by new members getting in to the hobby. The old Rule of Thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water. However, the obvious answer isn't so obvious! The true answer is much more complicated and harder to understand.

So what "rule" do you use, if any?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the mix of species. Some of it is temperament of the species (and individual fish), the biological niche of the species, how many hiding places are available, and even how busy the tank is. Honestly, my tank has gotten more peaceful since going from 4 to 9 fish. My tank is nowhere near full, but it seems like the extra fish prevent one fish from getting singled out.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. For me it is based on compatibility, size of the specimen,and bioload capacity. The number in the tank to me is not that important if the tank is able to process the waste. For example I have 15 fish and too many inverts tomcount in my 90. I have 3 “large fish “ ( Fox face, yellow tang, coral beauty). With the remainder being small wrasses blennies and clowns. All the fish seem to inhabit their own niche and has their own job in the tank. I feed heavy. There is no fighting for food. My nutrients are under control and the fish are fat and happy

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I research the fish - is it appropriate in terms of tank size? Can I keep it alive and thriving? Will it get along with current tank mates? Is my bioload ok (nitrates under control, no algae problems). The hard part can be finding accurate, detailed information about the species. It's hard to know what is reliable and what is opinion.

I thought by this time I would be fully stocked (75 gal mixed reef) but my parameters are still reasonable and everyone is getting along. I keep wanting to add "just one more" :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a general knowledge of what I can keep in my tank going based off of the recommended minimum aquarium size from sites such as liveaquaria. But if they have the fish listed i'll also use Aqua Advisor, put in my tank dimensions, and put in the fish i'm considering along with the fish I already have and it'll tell me my stocking level and recommended weekly water change amount and any hints or tips for each fish. Plus i'm never to afraid to ask the experts on r2r ;)

Last edited:

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" / gallon is an old freshwater guideline that will probably get you in trouble in a full reef tank.

Have to say, I mostly wing it. Watch nitrates, know what the eventual size & temperaments are, etc. of course. But hard fast rules are neither hard nor fast in this hobby. Depending on your particular tank and equipment, you can probably maintain a higher bioload than others would.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably go with 1 cubic inch of fish / 10 gallons of water in a reef tank. With caveats...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on age, swimming room, species, nutrient export, experience, how hard you’re willing to work to keep parameters in check, and tolerance for risk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I base it on the size of my tank and filtration along with the types of fish I want to keep. Also aquascaping plays a part for free swimming fish.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researching of fish size and needs in tank. I get a general guideline from the so many of A, B & C groups of fish per gallon. That way I'm sure I have all areas of tank covered and in balance. And go slow...

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally I go by 1 fish for every 10 gallons. There's a ton of variability in that as you go on but using that rule helps newbies not stuff 5 fish inside their Fulval 13.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion there is no set rule for how many fish per tank size. Especially length wise. Each fish has its own individual needs. For example, frogfish. Some types of frogfish stay smaller (under 3 inches) but they generate a lot of waste and add a lot to the bioload.
I think that stocking depends on a few things:
tank dimensions
filtration
reef/noreef
what fish do you have already?

My 180 stock list is
leopard wrasse
2 clowns
2 pyramid butterflyfish
1 sand sifter goby
1 harlequin tusk
tail spot blenny
candy hogfish
royal gramma
pintail wrasse
bangai cardinal
pearly jawfish
blue tang
sailfin tang
4x lyretail anthias
lubbocks wrasse
solar fairy wrasse
In total 21 fish, and in my opinion I could add a few more smaller fish
there is very little aggresion, and my tank has heavy filtration with chaeto, socks, skimmer, GFO and weekly water changes.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many variables for an easy "rule". It depends on the fish's space needs, the compatibility with other fish/inverts, aquascape, maturity of the coral (large space consuming colonies may provide more hiding places for small fish but take up swimming room for active big fish). Common sense helps but I often struggle with my desire for a certain fish over riding what little common sense I have.:D

I really think with proper husbandry most people have more filtration than they have room for the maximum amount of fish to exist reasonably "naturally".

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a general knowledge of what I can keep in my tank going based off of the recommended minimum aquarium size from sites such as liveaquaria. But if they have the fish listed i'll also use Aqua Advisor, put in my tank dimensions, and put in the fish i'm considering along with the fish I already have and it'll tell me my stocking level and recommended weekly water change amount and any hints or tips for each fish. Plus i'm never to afraid to ask the experts on r2r ;)

Thanks for this @crabs_mcjones. I used this site for years on freshwater planted aquariums and never even noticed they had a saltwater tab. LOL.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioload and behavior are by far the most important imo. Some fish are more messy than others and some need more space. A 4 inch flame angel needs more space than a 4 inch clown for example.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back