Poll: Laminar Flow vs. Turbulent Flow

Do You Have a Laminar or Turbulent Flow?

• Laminar

Votes: 74 10.1%
  • Turbulent

Votes: 275 37.6%
  • I don't really know

Votes: 171 23.4%
  • A Combination of Laminar & Trubulent

Votes: 211 28.9%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We often talk about lighting in aquaria - this light or light type vs. another. But the concept of flow isn't discussed as often with the exception of "What's the Best Power Head?". So let's talk about water flow. I'm by no means an expert but it can be argued that water flow is at least as important as lighting to the health of our corals.

So I'm curious how your current water flow pattern is set up now. Is it more of a laminar flow or do you have it designed to try to get a turbulent flow? Many things play in to this like the size of the aquarium, the nature of the rock work and coral placement, and obviously the quantity, power and types of flow generators (power heads, gyres, etc) you use. So let's start with where we are now and maybe through this discussion, we'll learn what we "should" be looking for.

Let's discuss.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the difference between luminar and turbulent flow ?

guessing you don't know the answer ?? why even make a poll if youre gonna ignore people

Basically, a laminar flow is described as a more unidirectional flow - meaning the flow created by your power head(s) is primarily flowing in one direction. The flow can and likely will be "disrupted" by rock work, corals, etc. and redirected if you will.

A turbulent flow is a random flow in multiple directions, typically accomplished with multiple power heads, programming of power heads, oscillating nozzles, etc.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say turbulent. I have a pair of MP10's in short pulse mode synced facing each other, so its a wave, but the water goes in all sorts of directions.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guessing you don't know the answer ?? why even make a poll if youre gonna ignore people
Calm down a bit, just search the question if your that impatient. Laminar meaning more across the tank evenly distributed, turbulent meaning a bunch flow from all different areas colliding.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Hydrology (my field) and Enginering Both terms are associated with a Reynolds #. Both refer to the flow of a current and the energy in that current (usually single stream ie, in a pipe, stream, out of a pump).

I have turbulent flow in one of my tanks that only has one return inlet and points in one direction. It’s classified as turbulent because of the energy and movement of the flow, not because there are multiple pumps or anything else. Another tank has laminar flow from an mp40, there is lots of water being moved but the flow is soft and does not have high energy or disturbances in its stream.

I can’t answer the poll as is from what I know because my tanks have both types of flow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spots of both in the tank.
Ime , many corals actually like a Laminar flow. Shrooms being one of Them.
And curiosly , some of my acros are doing amazingly well in those laminar spots to.

For those that don't know , the three types of flow are turbulent , laminar and surge.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35g cube(20"×20"×20"), with a Sicce 3.0 return and 2 Jebao SW4 power heads. The return pump is about 500gpm at is head pressure thru a single 3" fan nozzle. It does all my surface agitation. The two SW4 power heads are rated at 1056gph each. They are on opposite sides of the aquarium, not pointed at each other, and on max power and random flow pattern, not linked together.

I would say I have very few spots with laminar flow, very top at the return and one spot on the sand in the front right corner, and everything else is pretty strong, turbulent flow.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spots of both in the tank.
Ime , many corals actually like a Laminar flow. Shrooms being one of Them.
And curiosly , some of my acros are doing amazingly well in those laminar spots to.

For those that don't know , the three types of flow are turbulent , laminar and surge.

Salty- is there a reef guide for flow you can point me too? I’m only familiar with the terms Limnologist use. They seem to be different.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ever heard of google homeboy?

If you are capable of registering and creating the above post I have no reason to believe a copy/paste into google is outside your ability.

Some people have things to do other than wait around for you to ask easily answerable questions. It had been 10 minutes.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty- is there a reef guide for flow you can point me too? I’m only familiar with the terms Limnologist use. They seem to be different.
Here's one.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

IMO putting those three basic descriptions in ones mind in Reefing simplifies the matter greatly.
Sometimes we make things harder than they really are.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ocean is usually random turbulent flow. A lagoon might be somewhat laminar flow. It would depend on what you are trying to replicate I would think.

I was just going to say the complete opposite lol, that the ocean currents usually provide laminar flow. I'm now curious if I'm missing something. What makes you say random turbulent flow? :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back