Poll: Laminar Flow vs. Turbulent Flow

Do You Have a Laminar or Turbulent Flow?

• Laminar

Votes: 74 10.1%
  • Turbulent

Votes: 275 37.6%
  • I don't really know

Votes: 171 23.4%
  • A Combination of Laminar & Trubulent

Votes: 211 28.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In Hydrology (my field) and Enginering Both terms are associated with a Reynolds #. Both refer to the flow of a current and the energy in that current (usually single stream ie, in a pipe, stream, out of a pump).

I have turbulent flow in one of my tanks that only has one return inlet and points in one direction. It’s classified as turbulent because of the energy and movement of the flow, not because there are multiple pumps or anything else. Another tank has laminar flow from an mp40, there is lots of water being moved but the flow is soft and does not have high energy or disturbances in its stream.

I can’t answer the poll as is from what I know because my tanks have both types of flow.

Thanks - I agree with this as well. I have heard people say 'laminar flow is bad' But - turbulent flow that is too strong is also 'bad'. Or?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 gyres on my 5’ tank. I run them forward for 20 seconds, then in reverse for 20 seconds, opposite of each other.

So 1 is running forward and the other in reverse. While one is ramping up the other is ramping down.

During ramp up and the first 5 seconds at speed, a lot of turbulence is being created as the forward motions are ‘crashing”.

The rest of the time is laminar flow across the top and bottom

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back