Poll: Moon Lights - Simulation

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Aug 23, 2017.

?
  1. Yes - Simply on or off

2. Yes - Programmed to simulate the moon phases

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Staying with the eclipse theme for another day, I'm curious to see how many people actually use some type of moon lighting on a regular basis. If so, is it programmed to simulate the moon's phases, or simply programmed to be on/off.

Bluhawk likes this.

2. moseley75

moseley75 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I use the Moon light feature of my AI Prime HD. It changes the light level based on the current phase of the moon.

Rufus’ goofs and Bluhawk like this.
  3. lickyricky

lickyricky Red Sea Max E-170 R2R Supporter

+1 with my Hydra 26 HD

In fact I couldn't figure out why my tank was dark the other day until I realized there was a new moon so therefore the light turned off completely

moseley75 and Rufus’ goofs like this.
  4. moseley75

moseley75 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

LOL! That happened to me the first time. I had read the information in the manual and still thought something was wrong.

5. Reefiness

Reefiness Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'd like to use it on my radion based on the moon phases, but it doesnt seem to want to work. I try getting to be very dim, but then when I click program it just stays off. If I raise the intensity up around 3% more from where I like it and program it, then it stays on but is way too bright

6. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I'm not sure my choice is in the poll? I have rather bright moon lights....two, four foot IceCap LED strips.....sold as moonlights. I actually don't use them as "moon" lights because I noticed, when I first got them, that my fish weren't going to bed.....and they were staying up and partying. So I've incorporated them into my 12 hour light cycle, where they first come on for an hour, and are last to go off for an hour, to mimic early morning sunrise and late evening sunset, respectively.

So I guess my choice, if it were there, would be "programmed to go on and off (to simulate sunrise and sunset.)" :D

oceanfreak09 and dbl like this.
  7. AcanthurusRex

AcanthurusRex Active Member R2R Supporter

Is red better than blue?

8. Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner Well-Known Member

Blue ist definitely the worst choice. In fact moonlight isn´t blue but it is less blue than normal daylight. That it seems blue to us is an optical illusion caused by the physiology of our eyes. Blue light is the light that appears darkest to our eyes but brightest to corals and zooxanthellae.

I guess there is no moonlight simulation that also simulates the time when the moon shines. In fact only the full moon shines during the whole night and is highest at midnight (high moon :D).

The increasing moon is rising after the sun and sinking after the sun while the decreasing moon is going ahead to the sun and new moon is paralleling the sun. So a correct moon cycle would have to be: increasing half moon shining the first half of the night, full moon shining the whole night and brightest at midnight and decreasing half moon shining the second half of the night. The complete lunar cycle ist that the new moon is rising and sinking with the sun, in the beginning the increasing moon is sinking ca. 50 min. after the sun is sinking, sinking ca. 50 min. later every further night until after 14.77 nights the moon is full and shines the whole night, and then rising ca. 50 min later every night until after further 14.77 days the new moon rises together with the sun again.

Just as the sunlight the moonlight also changes in brightness during one single cloudless night beeing brightest at "high moon" which also shifts by ca. 50 min every night accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Black Pearl likes this.
  9. ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef Valuable Member

Mine is built in and just regular moon lights for the night

10. cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals Active Member AZ FRAG Member

I did phases for a while but I do lots of night viewing with my schedule so now I leave them on always.

Draft saved Draft deleted