Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An often discussed topic is the remove of excess phosphates. Realizing many use multiple methods, this poll is designed to highlight your PRIMARY method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An often discussed topic is the remove of excess phosphates. Realizing many use multiple methods, this poll is designed to highlight your PRIMARY method.

I'm not sure which "method" was my primary method: GFO, macroalgae, or skimming. :)

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal phosphate control I go with gfo. If there is excess phosphate leaching from rock lanthium chloride.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure which "method" was my primary method: GFO, macroalgae, or skimming. :)

would it be a simple solution of direct phosphate control to help with answering? Say skimming may help lower phosphate but it's primary use isn't solely for phosphate. In which case out of the 3 gfo would be your most direct phosphate control?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be a simple solution of direct phosphate control to help with answering? Say skimming may help lower phosphate but it's primary use isn't solely for phosphate. In which case out of the 3 gfo would be your most direct phosphate control?

If that was the question, then yes, GFO is my preference for a means of phosphate export that has a much smaller effect on anything else (but a few things are impacts, such as organiced, silicate, certain trace elements).

For many tanks, there may be no specific phosphate method in use. :)

Last edited:

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal phosphate control I go with gfo. If there is excess phosphate leaching from rock lanthium chloride.

I just received a bottle of SeaKlear phosphate remover, how can i dose it? Phosphates in 0.4ppm with Hana ULR :confused:

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a bottle of SeaKlear phosphate remover, how can i dose it? Phosphates in 0.4ppm with Hana ULR [emoji53]

Short answer 6ml dilute in 1000ml of rodi water and drip dosed. I dose directly into sump sock, but it's like most things how much gfo should you use? It depends on your tank it's parameters and how it reacts it's really a trial and error type thing.

This is just my experience @Randy Holmes-Farley will be able to give a much more scientific answer and probably more accurate answer though.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer to prevent organics from breaking down into NO3/PO4, then corals and refugium for removal after that. Last ditched method are water changes! :)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high phosphates .2-.3 ppm and 0 ppm nitrates. Once I started dosing nitrates my phosphates dropped down to the .03 ppm range. So my suggestion is balanced nutrients as a PO4 control.

I know dose both as it is easier for me to keep my no3 in the 1-5ppm range and PO4 in the .02-.05 range with daily dosing

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATS would be primary, but I also run a skimmer.

C2C21AC8-7480-472B-9698-4494548291F6.jpeg

2E8BCA10-516F-4772-8789-3F9C7802E165.jpeg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 all in one so I can't run a fuge or a decent reactor. I'm battling some algae issues so I am running a bag of phosguard in the media rack. After I get things balanced I will see if I need the phosguard anymore.

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Not too sure the relevance of what I am going to say, Im only starting to help my dad put together a 120g saltwater tank. However a little reading about phosphates and im curious if one could test the link between oxygen, carbon dioxide and phosphates. Phosphates feed on oxygen and release carbon dioxide, which then fuels photosynthesis to algae? Could be really useful testing phosphates, oxygen, and carbon dioxide over the course of days, varying light output/time. When lights on the tank go out increase the oxygen to promote phosphate decomposition, what does phosphates test at in a couple of days? Im not really sure what the exact recipe could be but I do know it doesn't have to rely on coagulation or chemical removal. I think a good way to visualize this is in the course of over accumulated phosphates, say in a pond whose ridden with surface algae, then you may see a lake whose water is clear. The phosphates through the course of photosynthesis release carbon dioxide the carbon dioxide rise to the surface. However how to fully promote the gas exchange? The water is stagnant it doesn't move, theres no surface agitation to facilitate this gas exchange. At this point plant spores? not sure what you call them but algae uses this built up carbon dioxide and light rays to photosynthesize and create almost a blanket of algae. And this could have started all from an accumulation of phosphates.
These are merely thoughts it would be useful information to see how these parameters correlate with each other. Maybe these thoughts spark a thought you have or may have noticed through parameters. Any thoughts?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back