• Other - Describe in thread

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are my preferred method of Phosphate control. Until then, GFO. Bio-pellets water changes and a skimmer are in use but I don't believe take out as much as GFO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However a little reading about phosphates and im curious if one could test the link between oxygen, carbon dioxide and phosphates. Phosphates feed on oxygen and release carbon dioxide, which then fuels photosynthesis to algae? Could be really useful testing phosphates, oxygen, and carbon dioxide over the course of days, varying light output/time. When lights on the tank go out increase the oxygen to promote phosphate decomposition, what does phosphates test at in a couple of days? Im not really sure what the exact recipe could be but I do know it doesn't have to rely on coagulation or chemical removal. I think a good way to visualize this is in the course of over accumulated phosphates, say in a pond whose ridden with surface algae, then you may see a lake whose water is clear. The phosphates through the course of photosynthesis release carbon dioxide the carbon dioxide rise to the surface. However how to fully promote the gas exchange? The water is stagnant it doesn't move, theres no surface agitation to facilitate this gas exchange. At this point plant spores? not sure what you call them but algae uses this built up carbon dioxide and light rays to photosynthesize and create almost a blanket of algae. And this could have started all from an accumulation of phosphates.
These are merely thoughts it would be useful information to see how these parameters correlate with each other. Maybe these thoughts spark a thought you have or may have noticed through parameters. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Phosphate does not react with O2 in any way, nor can it ever release CO2.

What did you read?

Are you maybe thinking of the reactions of organics? Those will react with O2 and release CO2, and also possibly release phosphate, if the organic contains phosphate (some do, many do not). That process is completely understood.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started A fuge with cheato and a halo11 and now after growing 2 five gal pails of cheato I have zero/zero and have been FEEDING. Now a few acro frags colors are fading
Nutrient-Group (85 Gallons)
Element Analysis Setpoint Deviation Warning lamp
P 147 µg/l 6 µg/l 141.00

PO4 0.44982 mg/l 0.01836 mg/l 0.432

Yes phos were that high, My CUC grew beards

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE removed half of the live rock and all marine pure then cleaned the sump a couple of 25 percent WC I will see in a few days if it drops, also started Rowas

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would also mention this is a trition style sump with no sock , not sure if that's a good thing. It may be one of those Fads that in 2 years we will all say "What were we thinking"

U

User1

View Badges
I have no control - it controls at the moment. Tank is maturing and I have high Nitrate that is more pressing to fix atm :( But I did want to ask a question about GFO. Isn't that somewhat expensive to run with high phosphate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no control - it controls at the moment. Tank is maturing and I have high Nitrate that is more pressing to fix atm :( But I did want to ask a question about GFO. Isn't that somewhat expensive to run with high phosphate?

Yes. :)

U

User1

View Badges
That is what I understood, thanks :) Not that I am interested in it but just wanted to make sure I was thinking of the same thing and all. Two in college I have to be somewhat creative in some hobbies :D This is one of them thus letting the tank mature while only addressing one thing like my Nitrates.

Have a good day.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back