• No

Votes: 291 40.5%

• Total voters

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Don’t remember folks doing that unless it was just to see that they are healthy..

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about getting a Tuxedo Urchin but my LFS told me they eat coralline :(

Spdstr280Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black pin cushion now, but it will probably not be moving to my next tank. It is now big enough it is knocking over rocks, and I don't think it has ever touched any algae other than coralline, which it keeps almost completely off the glass.

Jason

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

The only one I have had any issue with is the false fire urchin. The only coral it bothers though is my blue cespitularia. It will mow down a small patch, then it grows back and then the urchin goes back for another meal.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tuxedo urchins (blue and red), varigated (pin cushion), halloween, pencil and I actually love them all. However the halloween got a bit too much with the corals. Had my pincusions for over 5 years before they finally perished. They were captive bred ORA and pretty big when I got them.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are kind of a pain I lost a piece of SPS that I thought was glued well, but no it wasn't never to be seen again :oops:, they are good for algae Have not decided if I will put one in my new build.:rolleyes:

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big old black spiny urchin. 2 yrs old. Knocks down anything not glued but amazing cleaner. I have almost no coralline anywhere. Bought a five inch maxima with lots coralline on shell. First night he knocked the clam over and ate the coralline.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good algae eater. Very bad bulldozer. Would not put in another tank again.

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a short spine urchin(Spike) who was doing great until I had to do an emergency tank move after hurricane Harvey. Not sure what happened but he died shortly after I moved the tank. ( only thing I lost in the move) He was one of our favorite critters in our FOWLR aquarium.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my pincushions carried a piece of neon green nepthea around for months. It grew twice its size while being hauled around the tank. Very funny.

SnailQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them in 20 and 29 gallon tanks for years. The pincushions have always been the bigger bulldozers, and the tuxedos have been more interesting hoarders. Both were excellent on hair algae and entertaining to watch.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time this guy got me under the finger nail. Spine broke off and was a good 1/4" under the nail. I couldn't remove it. Arm went numb and was pretty painful. Called poison control and they told me to go the ER. When I arrived I checked in. Was immediately rushed to a room. They soaked my finger in iodine and warm water. Given I live in Akron Ohio and the hospital I went to has never had a documented case and didn't know how to treat it. They called some hospitals on the coast. Anyway they ended up numbing my finger with some local antiseptic. Used a scalpel and had to cut out the spine from under the nail. Stitched me up and sent me home.

Two weeks later my buddy was having a conversation with a lady friend of his that she had worked at the hospital that night. Guy came in and stung by a sea urchin. He was like I know him. That's my friend Dan.

Here's my other urchin. It is carrying the same species that had died a little before this. Weird.

img_8470-jpg.386464

Cube reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal tank and a small blue tuxedo. He leaves most of my corals alone, except he has chewed on some flat encrusting corals and early on grabbed a few of my zoas off rocks. I guess if it's not glued down he will haul it around on himself or dislodge plugs if not glued in.. I caught him with the floating thermometer one day. I have a ton of coraline in my tank so there is no issue for me if he eats it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back