sea urchins

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a longspine for 7 years. He demolished GSP and red monti. Leaves carpet anemone mushrooms and zoas alone. There is spectacular coralline algae. He is fascinating. Reacts when anyone comes In the room. Begs for food on the front glass, and eats everything.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a longspine for 7 years. He demolished GSP and red monti. Leaves carpet anemone mushrooms and zoas alone. There is spectacular coralline algae. He is fascinating. Reacts when anyone comes In the room. Begs for food on the front glass, and eats everything.
Mine come to surface for nori

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably did as I doubt he put it where I wanted it. :D
Mine picked up a hammer frag and I laughed but was about to head to the office so I left it, when I came home they had dropped it in a perfect place, and it’s much happier than where I had left it :face-with-hand-over-mouth:♂️

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo likes any kind of algae growing on the rock including coralline. I can see the path it has taken.

Yesterday it picked up one of my mushrooms. Has some gravel and a dwarf cerith as well.
IMG_20231014_220051459.jpg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tuxedo urchins, and other than decimating my batch of firework clove polyps, there's never been harm done to my corals.

I'm not even sure if the cloves were eaten either. He kept running over them and they weren't solidly glued down so he wore a few around for a while but the colony didn't survive him constantly mowing over them while all of the other corals reacted more like they'd been groomed with a fine toothed comb. I can't say if they were just ripped up and didn't survive it, or were eaten.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Tuxedo urchin, it’s my avatar! The best cuc I have. It does eat coralline as mentioned. It has never eaten any coral but I wish it would eat clove polyps! I’ve had mine coming up on 2 years.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some GHA and got a purple short spine pin cushion urchin. He needed help, so I got a tuxedo urchin. The purple pin cushion did laps around the tuxedo. He would literally go about 10X farther than the tuxedo. May not be the case with others. They’re both going strong 6 months later.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo and black short spine the tuxedo is the hardest working animal in the tank never bothers anything in the tank but constantly cleans the rocks. The other one does the same but much slower.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion, short spine, and long spine and I haven't seen any of them bother coral however if there wasn't enough Coraline algae perhaps they might. IME especially with the long spine in particular, water parameters should be stable and lots of Coraline should be available so a decently established tank is important. Unfortunately the long spine variety will shed it spines if there are stressors and soon after usually die. This happened to me when adding one to my tank as part of clean up crew too early. I tried again a year later and have had a healthy one ever since.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back