Poll: Sump size?

Sump size? Is there a magic number/percentage/ratio?

• 25-50%

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • 50%+

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • Just large enough for your equipment

Votes: 30 5.7%
  • As big as you can fit/utilize in your situation

Votes: 396 74.9%
  • I've never had a sump

Votes: 30 5.7%
  • Other - explain in thread

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... you should baffle in a return chamber that only holds a few gallons or so.

Also comparing powerheads to return flow in terms of power consumption is not even close, as an extreme example say you can use two MP40's to get 50x turnover in the display, it is going to take WAYYYYYYY more power (and noise) to get that same turnover with a return pump.
An AIO would be great except I have seahorses. I do massive water changes to keep my herd healthy. My sump is in the basement where I can make water, mix it and pump into the sump without any lifting or carrying. Since its 25 gallon water changes every week I am not giving that up.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 display with a 40 breeder sump (home made glass baffles). It's a perfect setup except for the fact that I cannot remove the sump from the stand without removing the display tank. In the event of a power outage, the sump rises to about two inches below full which is perfect. I used to have a refugium in the center with macro algaes, but like others, I dosed Vibrant which killed it all. Now I use it for a frag area and put a spare kessil a360we under there. I wouldn't have a tank without a sump after having this setup for over 6 years.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used a hob overflow for over 10 years with only the 1 mishap. My current hob overflow box is not glued like my 1st one. I have a variable rate DC pump so the flow is exactly what the U tube and drain can handle. Bubbles never build up so the electricity can go off as often as it likes, the siphon always starts. They are reliable if they are set up right.
If u don't mind me asking, what brand overflow do you have? I am currently setting up a 30 gal sump for my 55 gal display tank. I have a reeflife overflow and will be setting it up in the next few weeks.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If u don't mind me asking, what brand overflow do you have? I am currently setting up a 30 gal sump for my 55 gal display tank. I have a reeflife overflow and will be setting it up in the next few weeks.
Correction, lifereef overflow..[emoji16]

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty old and I don't remember what brand. I have since bought eshopps and they are good.

Back