Poll: TOTAL MONEY SPENT on Reefing

How much money have you ever spent on reefing? ($ USD)

• $1 - $1,000

Votes: 56 5.3%
  • $1,001 - $3,000

Votes: 145 13.6%
  • $3,001 - $5,000

Votes: 166 15.6%
  • $5,001 - $10,000

Votes: 220 20.7%
  • $10,000 +

Votes: 478 44.9%

• Total voters

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the over 10 k club, my life rock alone was over 1k. Nothing is cheap here in down under, and atm prices seem to go up weekly.
I've seen some Aussie LFS tours, and your coral prices on wild/maricultured pieces, and the quality of those are much better than the US. So you have that going for you, lol.

Reefjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 2 decades plus, probably somewhere around $30,000. I lost track... $10,000+ seems like an inadequate description.
A shout out there to all of my fellow Double Decade Reefers. I seriously don't know how anyone starts out in the hobby today. I don't always remember it being this expensive. Frags used to be $5 at a LFS. Probably why I no longer have a LFS, but a FAFS. (Far Away Fish Store).

Reefjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 20 some years it's easily $50k-$75k or more.
A shout out there to all of my fellow Double Decade Reefers. I seriously don't know how anyone starts out in the hobby today. I don't always remember it being this expensive. Frags used to be $5 at a LFS. Probably why I no longer have a LFS, but a FAFS. (Far Away Fish Store).

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right off 10K is a drop in the bucket.

Currently we have my 220G SPS reef in the Great room and her 90G mixed reef in the Kitchen. Planet Aquarium just delivered our New 375G that we will be putting in the Great room to replace the 220. I would say we have 25 to 30K as of today and were planning on a Worldwide Coral and Top shelf Aquaria run while we're at Reef A Palooza in April.

The real trick to this hobby is get the wife involved. My wife LOVES her reef and has a totally different idea about how to stock it. That works great except when you both want a new coral or fish this month. I would rather take her to a jewelry store than a saltwater or coral shop. The jewelry store would be a lot cheaper.

This hobby is expensive for sure but not more so than most other hobbies. We used to own a sailboat that we docked at a local marina. Now that is an expensive hobby. My Brother-in-law has a vintage mustang that he takes to car shows. Another very expensive hobby. My buddy's wife has a 10K quilting machine. Hobbies can be expensive, but life is very short and fragile and it's a one-way trip. We enjoy our reef tanks every day. We worked hard for 50+ years and our hobbies are the reward for all those hard days on the job.

This is my ultimate reward

planet aquarium 375.jpg
planet aquarium 375.jpg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it brings you enjoyment and some peace in a chaotic world the amount spent is well worth it; as long as you aren’t neglecting other areas of your finances.

crvz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cripes, this is probably not something I want to add up. started my first tank in 1998, 30 gallon tank, while in college. From there a 58 gallon after graduation, a nice 150 gallon build in my first house, and then a 300 gallon tank I've had for the last 12 years in this house. I'd say an average of $2k a year on sustaining (electricity, salt, food, filters, etc.), probably another $1500 a year in equipment upgrades, adding fish/coral, etc. I'm easily in $70k over the last 20+ years. BUT.. we're allergic to dogs/cats, and so when I see what my folks or friends spend on their pets, for me it's an easy trade. I've loved the hobby, so I don't really make decisions on cost (it's a factor, but not the primary one).

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1980 i could buy a yellow tang for around 25.00. In 2007 i was selling them for 39.99. Selling soft corals big as your fist or bigger for 39.99-49.99. Prices have become crazy!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back