• Total voters

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% every 2 weeks.
I love the idea of less frequent water changes just due to the costs associated with the DI/RO water (wastewater actually since I live in CA and pay for every drop) but have spent so much time and effort on my DT, I'm afraid of loosing something by not doing regular changes. Plus, what else am I gonna do every Sunday morning?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% weekly.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day I used to change 15% weekly..then went every 2 weeks and now it is monthly/5weeks. There has been no change to the water quality or test levels. I love the idea of only changing every 2 months or so but an scared of what 'might' happen. When I do a change I also clean out the internal and esternal filters...so everything gets done in one go

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped doing water changes about 6 weeks ago after doing them weekly for 3 years. My nitrates are 0 and my phosphates are o.01. until those come up I see no reason to do water changes. I do however dose aquavitro products.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuous 24/7. 1.15% per day.

3f174eeddb3b6eadcb2c51372120f8d5.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone cares: LOL

Water changes even assuming perfect replacement water will limit but not prevent build up and depletions of anything. Which is why we need to dose calcium, carbonate (alk) and magnesium anyway.

What happens the tank winds up at the point when the stuff removed by the water change is equal to the increase/decrease between water changes.

Mathematically:

before water change value=(change between water changes)/(fraction of water removed)+whatever is in the replacement water.

say nitrates build up a 10ppm between water changes and 1/20 of the water is changes (5%) with 3ppm nitrate water:

before water change value=(10ppm)/(1/20) +3ppm

before water change value=200ppm+3ppm=203ppm

So the tank starts out at 203 before the water change, is at 193 after the water change and builds up to 203ppm before the next water change.

To me the key to a successful tank is limiting the change between water changes. if that can be managed to 0 then no water changes are necessary and can only degrade the tank.

my .02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea and just for the record a 1% continuous water change on a tank will result in a tank with 100 times the daily change. 1ppm nitrate per day would result in a tank with 100ppm nitrates continuously.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people aren't doing awc. They obviously can cost a little more to setup...but well worth it imo!

Keep in mind this thread/poll was from over two years ago. Maybe I'll do another one now and see how many more have gone to the automated systems.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious where do you all put your dirty water? I have a septic system where I live and I *think* this means that I can't dump my saltwater down a drain? The salt will destroy the septic tank. For that reason doing water changes is a PITA! I hook up my outdoor hose and direct the salt water AWAY from my grass and house so it dumps out in the woods. After doing that for a few years... the obvious thing happened... the trees in the area died. In winter doing a water change is painful b/c of the snow and in the cold even the hose loses its flexibility.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started doing 0.7 gallons a day on my 20 gallon tank automated using a cheap jabeo dosing pump and a check valve (pumps in to overfill tank then using pump two to start a siphon that will drain back to just above the autotopoff sensor. I do not have a sump.

Tank is rapidly looking better and may soon cut back to .35 gallons per day.

reeferobz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go for as long as I can without, I use the Aquaforest balling method, and export with biopellets, GFO, and a skimmer. Once ICP tells me that heavy metals are too high or some other trace element has gone too high, I do a large water change, around 70 percent, to reset the water. I don't really see any kind of long term shock to the tank, so long as my new water's macro elements are the same.
What do you look for and at what numbers?

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who never do water changes or do them once or twice a year.... HOW? Please explain, I would love to know how this is possible. Always assumed water changes were essential.
I went to look at a tank today that was a beautiful softy, lps aquarium. Every 6 months! He does dose alk and calcium. I couldn't believe how healthy the aquarium was for doing a water change every 6 months.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t follow a set schedule, sometimes once a week, sometimes once, twice or thrice a month, sometimes once every few months, sometimes once a year, etc. If everything in my tank looks good, is growing and parameters are stable, I don’t see a reason to do one. If an issue or emergency arises however, then I’ll do one. Last water change for me was in April.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back