Poll: What is the longest your tank has gone unattended?

What is the longest time your tank has gone unattended (for vacation/work/etc)?

• 1-2 days

Votes: 94 11.5%
  • 3-4 days

Votes: 173 21.1%
  • 5-7 days

Votes: 199 24.3%
  • 8-10 days

Votes: 112 13.7%
  • 11-14 days

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • > two weeks

Votes: 107 13.1%
  • I have never left my tank unattended for longer than a day

Votes: 69 8.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not... its octo 110s. That's the problem...

If you think it will overflow, you can probably go a week without it, without causing too many issues.

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went on a 15 day trip to costa rica, and left all 5 of my tanks in the care of my father. I left a very detailed list of everything thay needed to be done, and everything was fine, but i still worried the entire time!

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left mine alone for about 4-5 weeks. 60 cube, only 3 fish and a few paly heads. 32 gallon Brute for ATO and an Eheim auto feeder. Rigged an old iPhone to be able to view it whenever I wanted so I could at least verify that it was dumping in food when it was supposed to. Overall, it turned out well. Stressful though. Was when we were between houses in Atlanta and Orlando.
How did you rig iPhone as video camera? That would every helpful to me.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days, I don’t trust automatic feeders. The either dose too much or none at all. My fish only eat frozen foods and spirulina flakes. So my sister comes in 4 day increments if needed to feed and add amino acids. I have ATO and a doser for Alk/Cal.

zipperbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 500 gallon tanks. I have apex neptune, 200g ATO, 2 eheim feeders on each tank and a doser.

To test my system out I stayed home but did not touch my tanks for 15 days to watch them. I added about 20 gallons of extra water to my sumps and left the ato at the normal level. This allowed the ATOs to not kick on for 4 days. I also made sure I was topped off on everything. Both tanks were fine. I used about half of everything, food, ato, and dosing group. I also have the Apex Neptune turn off and on the ATO everyday to reset them just in case.

When I leave I only do WC and clean up the week BEFORE I leave. Too many things can happen right after a WC...skimmers act up, chemical imbalance, etc. I adjust the skimmers to skim very lightly. I cut my light exposure to 8 hours.

We went to Europe for 15 days last summer.... no problem. Going to be doing it again this year.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks when I was half way across the globe. Came back to my 20 gallon ATO with maybe one day amount of fresh water left. Lost half of the fish live stock likely due to the aggression during automatic feeding and not being able to manually feed each fish. But boy had my softies grown during those three weeks!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By dylana407's standards - maybe 2 days.

Having my neighbors, my cats, etc. take care of the fish - two weeks. I set up an autofeeder, and I think the neighbor overfed. And the skimmer stopped working. When I came home it was loaded with GHA.

Oddly enough, this is what got my NO3 and PO4 down consistently to zero - stability for several weeks, and algae growth taking away the nutrients. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back