Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have an Apex controller. However I am not going to pay over $700 for one only to have to spend thousands more just for compatible items to work on it

I was kind of shocked to see the amount of people not using one.

Controllers make things easier, but are not a necessity for most. As some have indicated, frequent travel makes them more of a necessity.

That said, you shouldn't need to spend 'thousands more' for compatible equipment. You don't have to use the WAV powerheads and the COR pump; any power head will work fine, ditto with most other things. My advice is to buy equipment that is compatible when making purchases (i.e. when you get a pump, get a pump that has a 0-10V input). This applies to almost all controllers, not just Apex.

I purchased an Apex several months ago, and my experience is that while not necessary, it definitely makes life easier. After you have one, you also tend to find other uses for it.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL all the way. The ability to stack your doser without the use of a shelf. Having two different type of doser configurations the maxi and the doser, including 2. 3 and 4 head units. Having the ability to plug cards into the device without spewing cables to another module. The ability to purchase a expansion box that gives you all the ports that availablen on the main unit with its own internal expansion slots including PH, ORP and Salinity that neat and clean. Alkalinity monitoring with the ability to adjust triton dosing based on the results.

As a user of both a Apex system and now a GHL system both have pro and cons but I am thoroughly impressed with the GHL product line and glad my new tank build is all GHL.
@DITTO I have an apex classic and I am building my tank right now and want a wireless controller for this build, would you recommend the ghl over apex? Right now? Just wanted your opinion since you do have both

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back