Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday's poll looked at the integration of upgrading to the new Apex brain and the use of existing modules. There were a few members that indicated they do not use the Apex and offered other options. So let's take a look today to see which, if any, controllers your folks are using.

I've put the mainstream "brands" on the poll but as usual there is an "other" option - feel free to discuss what you're using.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None for me, but as stated yesterday I'd love to eventually get one :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None for me now either but I'll be going GHL when it does happen :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an Apex but now use the GHL. Both controllers have their strengths and weaknesses. The GHL is a better choice for me, but I would expect the Apex to appeal to a larger group of people.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Reef Keeper Lite now. If I ever need a new or additional controller, I'll be using Reef-Pi by @Ranjib. I've never been a huge fan of the Apex.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use a RKL but switched to an apex classic on the new system and love it!

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used an apex in the past and it did a great job before modern equipment had the controllability it does. I sold my apex with the rest of my gear as I took a break from the hobby. I rejoined the hobby last year and I have to say I don't see why I need an apex anymore.

The only exception to that is being notified of things being out of wack, other than that lights, pumps, wave makers all have a solid level of controllability now. Also IMO in modern reefing an orp and ph probe are outdated and no real care for these anymore. The addition of an alk probe is useful however, once I dial a tank in my alk doesn't change, I can test daily, weekly, monthly and still not see a difference.

So my point basically controllability I don't see much point in this other than having one thing control everything which leads to one point of failure. The only benefit I still see is being notified when something happens. Which is a big benefit don't get me wrong. But not enough and I'm not away from the tanks enough to warrant me really being concerned, I feel I'm at a level where I can keep tanks stable without much hassle. Unless a massive catastrophic leak and break happens in which case I have a simple $30 wifi leak detector that sends me notification.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used no controller on my first tank, a Reef Angel controller on my second tank, then I switched down to a Nano due to current space restrictions.

On the Nano I tried the ReefKeeper, but have since switched to an Apex Classic. The notifications and ease of adjusting coding are the biggest draws to me for the Apex. I had always read of people talking about Fusion, but never understood why. The graphing/tracking, parameter charts and calendar functions all in one app are great!

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex all the way and I absolutely love it. Not to mention the Neptune dosing system paired with the Apex is AWESOME!
Fish Room.jpg

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex & GHL ;Happy

However I'm not sure you can count SenEye as a controller, AFAIK, it's purely a monitor and can't control or manage anything. (I have one of those too... ;))

U

User1

View Badges
I actually use two. I've moved my primary controller to the Apex after I upgraded the 40 to my 210 last month. Having said that I still use the Reef Angel and that was the controller of choice the past 7 years. Believe it or not there is a lot of custom code out there that has some very cool features for custom / DIY LED lighting such has one touch coral and/or fish acclimation around lighting. Then there is storms and weather not to mention geo location sunrise and sunset. It is still in use driving a pair of my multi-channel chips because the Reef Angel handles PWM better than the APEX. Go figure.

I cast my vote for Apex but I actually use two. And if I was being honest I probably don't or didn't need the Apex because the RA was doing just fine. There are a couple additional items I wanted from the Apex ecosystem and when the Cor 15 came out I made the change.

Back