Polynemus paradiseus

Alpha_and_Gec

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Messages
743
Reaction score
480
Location
Vancouver, BC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people ever keep these? Ironically I've only seen these sold for freshwater tanks, how long would it take to acclimate one to salt? It is a pretty dope looking fish but I wonder if they need much larger tanks than their body size suggests because of their fins.

Anyone had experience?
 
There's very limited info on keeping them in captivity because reportedly they don't adapt well to captivity. Maybe Jay has some insight on them @Jay Hemdal
 
There's very limited info on keeping them in captivity because reportedly they don't adapt well to captivity. Maybe Jay has some insight on them @Jay Hemdal


Sorry - I've seen them on lists a couple of times, but was never able to get one!

Jay
 
Some sources cite their low tolerance of fresh to be a cause for their fragility, although this also looks like a fish that just can't be kept with any aggressors. Feeding seems to be pretty normal but tank size, flow and water condition are the biggest of my concerns.

My fresh lfs was able to get these... maybe I'll see one again. Any info on other Polynemus fish would be appreciated too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new