Polyp Bailout! Please help me pick best course of action!!!

keatonhoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I need your help with deciding what I should dowith my sole remaining frogspawn LPS and if i can save it :(

here’s a very quick backstory:
I’m new to the reefing hobby (but I have a marine biology degree) I thought I had to have a 100 gallon tank to keep/corals/salt water fish but I randomly happened upon an awesome LFS owner who laughed when I asked if he freshwater fish since i was getting back into fish (I’ve kept them for 16 years) and told him my dream was some clowns in a tank.

Anyway, he got me all excited so I bought a Fluval 13.5 that same day and jumped right inI bought some clowns and some starter corals and it was 100% going great.

Then I bought a frammer coral + acans. They were super healthy. Had no problems. I bought an aqua ATO to help stability and that’s when it started. My ATO flooded my tank twice in one weekend and tanked my salinity :( I brought it back up slowly though.

then, I got a call from my LFS that they wanted to sell me their used Red Sea 250 that they needed some cleaning but it was a screaming deal so I bought it.

I was super busy trying to get that tank cleaned and up and running since it was a big gross and I don’t have a garage so it was on my living room floor and shower soaking in Citric acid and I scrubbed every day all day until like 2 AM for multiple nights.

well during this time I was trying to start dosing and my alk swung. I got some corals from a friend who also was quitting the hobby and I shoved them into my fluval (after dipping them in Red Sea Coral Induction of course). My phosphate also ros

A few days after, my frammer bailed. Then my hammer coral, and today (3 weeks later) my frog spawn has polyps falling off.

ive been religious on water changes and I haven’t been dosing since I do water changes on such a small tank consistently.

Now, how do I save the frogspawn? I dipped into coral RX tonight and some sand fell off and maybe a very tiny brown thing that may be a parasite may not be?

my Red Sea 250 is ready and up and the IMO the parameters are better, but I’m really worried there was some weird bacterial infection or something that got into these euphyllia (my acan’s, zoa’s + Ricardias + sinularia are 100% fine) and I have some very nice high end torch’s my LFS basically gave me because they know I’ve been struggling LOL so I don’t want to lose those.

so with all this information please let me know the right course of action/issue:

1. Do you think all of this was caused by a water parameter issue that my last one is finally succumbing to?
If I move it to the big tank tonight, would that save it or is it already gone?
If I need to keep it in the small tank, should I move it to a low flow area?

2. Do you think this is some sort of bacterial infection?
If so, should I use coral Rx to save it? If so, how many times and for how long?
Am I safe to move the other types of corals to the new tank

3. Do you think this all could be caused by sand?
If so, is there anything that can be done?

E2332E5D-771B-4544-9DAD-EEDD4D0FACE1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bailout is due to too much flow and/or light
Also assure calcium is not low

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back