Polyp extension is minimal on some sps frags

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the frags are colorful and growing, then don't worry about PE.

I echo the sentiment to do a few water changes, if you have not. The ugly phases can use up some of the elements. Water change offers the best reset button.

You can have too much flow, but most people do not.

Check again for pests. Everybody's first response is to say that they do not have any, but you really need to look hard. Bottom side with a strong light is the best way. Look for bugs or bite marks from AEFW - google has tons of images on both.

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managed a short video, is the flow alright now?

It's the millepora and the red SPS behind I'm talking about

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So the polyps are even further in now, coral colour dont seem to change or the growth but the polyps are really smalla comparing to what a millie should look like.

Ive been running the flow slower and not at all direct this past week and did 2 waterchanges of 10%, im planning to do 2-3 more this week.

Nothing has really changed besides the flow other then po4 has gone up a bit to 0.9 after roids feeding so ive stopped that this week.

here are some shorts on them before light turns on, cant see any critters on them:

Last edited:

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine look the same under lights, I just left it alone for now. just dosing 2 part and nothing else. Lets see what happens.

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the polyps should be "dancing" and not pinned down. Looks good.
So i tought i would give you a little update 7 months after, not too mutch has changed to the millepora or the other sps with the extension. They have had some growth and got a bit overgrown before i decided to remove another sps. Color looks great but the extension is not that good.

Ive been keeping the tank as steady as i could and it still looks the same with the exemption that the frags have grown thicker and the red one has gotten a few branches but the millie just gets a wider base but no new upwards growth.

Attachments

• 1671789405286.jpg
    1671789405286.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1671789405283.jpg
    1671789405283.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes acropora will just "base out" forever, then one day start to shoot up branches. As long as it looks healthy, let her ride!
i guess im just worried that it does not show polyps to mutch, everything i read is that sps need the polyps out to feed, plus im kinda sad that the millie that should be "bushy" doesint show it. it will come :) thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back