Polyps hate my tank and I'm lost.

DaveC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from NO3 4ppm, PO4 0.05 to NO3 30ppm, PO4 0.18ppm. I dosed ammonia daily and a little reefroid twice a week. This process went on for 2 months and now the PE has improved a lot. I guess the reason is that the light intensity is greater than the available nutrient level.
I'm bringing my PO4 up, currently sitting at .064 ... NO3 is at 20

I'm only seeing lacking PE on one frag that I added 11 days ago, of the 4 that is the only one not fat & happy

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went from NO3 4ppm, PO4 0.05 to NO3 30ppm, PO4 0.18ppm. I dosed ammonia daily and a little reefroid twice a week. This process went on for 2 months and now the PE has improved a lot. I guess the reason is that the light intensity is greater than the available nutrient level.
I wondering if I'm experiencing this - my par meter isn't the best (seneye) which is the next thing I plan to purchase, a better one. I have a feeling my current corals are getting hit w more light than measured. I can easily raise my lights, might be worth a try for a period.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was about 8 months until I decided on the ammonia dose. Before that, I fed the fish 4 times a day with pellet and nori, phyto and reefroid as mentioned before.
Interesting.., I dont have a answer but 8 months seems to coincide with a previous post saying he doesn't see pe for about that long... so now, if you add a new frag, does it show/maintain pe immediately(or relatively quick)?

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is on those fish. Several are sus, and even tangs can sometimes be the culprits. My tangs pick at certain corals and knock the PE back.

I had this exact issue, and once I rehomed my Angel the PE on many corals started to return. Some immediately, some are still slowly extending those polyps many weeks later.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, maybe I am expecting too much. So, to answer your question, no. Let me ask you, would you consider this pattern normal? -

Frag is encrusted on plug
Frag is 1"+, colorful, lots of PE
Place frag in tank, for ~3mo the frag starts to encrust more, color more, grow, and no loss of PE
Frag loses almost all PE for an undetermined amount of time
Frag encrust more then PE returns (maybe - some have not returned)

If this is normal.... I'll just revert to being patient. I just don't feel like this is normal as some frags have not done this.
I had PE on some corals montis mostly but none on my Acros really. Had cherub angel who I never saw picking at the corals. Moved him into another tank and slowly started getting PE. Like I said I never saw him really mess with the corals a occasional nip at one but that turned out to be my problem in the end.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My money is on those fish. Several are sus, and even tangs can sometimes be the culprits. My tangs pick at certain corals and knock the PE back.

I had this exact issue, and once I rehomed my Angel the PE on many corals started to return. Some immediately, some are still slowly extending those polyps many weeks later.
I have cameras on the tank -- I can confirm with 24x7 video surveillance that the fish are not touching them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back