Polyps hate my tank and I'm lost.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sigh, I'm at the point to where I just want to reboot because I cannot figure this out. I'm able to keep sps, keep them colorful and growing, but I get zero polyp extension. In fact, every sps I get, the polyps retract. Every. Single. One. Even traditionally fuzzy sps receed. But the coral still grows and is colored up. I do have some PE, it's just very very little. But for example a Tsa bill murray or Tsa reaper both very fuzzy sps, have receeded a ton. I've changed flow, par, blah blah blah. I can't figure out why. The only 'bad' thing with the tank is I have vermited snails, but, I've seen other sps keepers with the same and no issues.

Tank is 3yrs old
Alk (8.5-8.8) (suuuuper slow swings if any, mostly stable at 8.8)
Po4 0.10-0.15 (slow gradual swings)
No3 5-15 (slow gradual swings)
Ca 480-500
Mg 1375-1450
Sg 32.5-35 (slow gradual swings)
Tmp 78-79*
No2 0
I2 0.06-0.09 (slow gradual swings)
PH 8.0-8.19 (daily swings)

Icp - nothing really stands out other than strontium being a little low occasionally.

Pics attached - both over a 2mo period.
Bill murray - left is new, right is old, lots of PE.
Photo_2023-12-06_09-10-09_PM.png

Reaper - poor quality photos but you get the idea.
Photo_2023-12-16_02-15-53_PM.png

Left is 2mo ago, right is today. Hard to see but it looks almost bare.

This is driving me insane because I get really really nice frags from a local reefer who has an amazing tank and amazing frags, he helps me out a ton. I put them in my tank and 2-3mo later, they look like poop. I've confirmed no fish (or anything I can see) is not nipping.

Ideas?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s your fish stocking list?
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Naso tang
Achilles tang
Copperband butterfly
Blue throat trigger
Leopard wrasse
Potters angel
Clown
I know the angel is sus but I have cameras on the tank watching corals. He doesn't even go near any. He does pick rocks, just like the tangs. I've also had this issue pre-angel.

Typical cleanup crew of snails, crabs. I also have creatures like brittle stars, pods, etc. I've noticed zero 'bites' on the sps or any white spots or anything like that.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm able to keep sps, keep them colorful and growing, but I get zero polyp extension.
Don't place emphasis on polyp extension. They're growing.

Vermetids are only a problem if the SPS are downstream and the vermetid nets are touching them.
You might want to get a magnifying glass and look for red bugs.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of flow are we talking about? If growth and color are there....PE isn't the most important factor. Furthermore....how is PE at night?
I'd say pretty darn good flow...

2x MP60's (60-90 day, different types like reef crest, 30-50 night)
2x Gyre's (60-80, day, 30 night)
2x jaebo (off brand) qp-9 wavemakers 14/20 constant.

All indirect

PE at night, I'll check, but for some corals they reced. Some extend.

So, I DO have some corals I'd consider happy. Like the green slimer and Ora blue tort, those have good PE. No idea why. Buuuuuuut, they always didn't have it. For example for about 3mo the slimer had none. I've done the normal thing of 'be patient' but I also feel like something is off because this is becoming a pattern.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't place emphasis on polyp extension. They're growing.

Vermetids are only a problem if the SPS are downstream and the vermetid nets are touching them.
You might want to get a magnifying glass and look for red bugs.
I'm trying not to, but, at the same time if there's no PE then I really feel like the nice corals aren't that nice? Does that make sense? So idk, it's important to me. Some of my corals aren't growing, but I'd also say they are slow growers. Like pink caddilac.

I have a LOT of vermited. A lot.

Where should I check for the red bugs?

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I DO have some corals I'd consider happy. Like the green slimer and Ora blue tort, those have good PE. No idea why. Buuuuuuut, they always didn't have it. For example for about 3mo the slimer had none. I've done the normal thing of 'be patient' but I also feel like something is off because this is becoming a pattern.
You keep answering your own question. Do you really expect a new coral to immediately settle in to a new environment--flow, chemistry, biology and lighting spectrum/intensity--and suddenly be happy?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep answering your own question. Do you really expect a new coral to immediately settle in to a new environment--flow, chemistry, biology and lighting spectrum/intensity--and suddenly be happy?
Good catch. I need to work on my reading skills

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heh, maybe I am expecting too much. So, to answer your question, no. Let me ask you, would you consider this pattern normal? -

Frag is encrusted on plug
Frag is 1"+, colorful, lots of PE
Place frag in tank, for ~3mo the frag starts to encrust more, color more, grow, and no loss of PE
Frag loses almost all PE for an undetermined amount of time
Frag encrust more then PE returns (maybe - some have not returned)

If this is normal.... I'll just revert to being patient. I just don't feel like this is normal as some frags have not done this.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, maybe I am expecting too much. So, to answer your question, no. Let me ask you, would you consider this pattern normal? -

Place frag in tank, for ~3mo the frag starts to encrust more, color more, grow, and no loss of PE

If this is normal.... I'll just revert to being patient. I just don't feel like this is normal as some frags have not done this.
I would venture to guess that they are having their nutritional needs met without having to have a lot of PE to catch additional food. So, you're providing a great environment for them and they don't need to expend extra energy on PE; they can use that toward growing. :)

(Just because you don't think it's as pretty without PE doesn't mean there's something wrong... )

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it if it's growing. Acros can be weird sometimes but if it's growing and color is good then continue doing what you're doing. If ypu icp and nothing crazy stands out then stay the course and don't over tinker just to get PE. Think about it...why would PE matter if they are growing or showing good color? I'll take the growth and color....maybe the pe falls in line at some point. Healty acros is growth and color...not pe.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It appears to be normal in your tank, since you say it's happened more than once. You've answered your question again. Polyp extension returns.

SPS aren't as adaptable as we'd like. Look at what's happening in the world's reefs. A minor change and they all die.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but have you looked for extensions a few hours after lights out?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every frag has reacted the same way, but with patience they all do what you want them to do? I don't see a problem. Initial polyp extension could be a reaction to the stress of shipment or change in tanks. Could it be a survival instinct to try to collect more food when there's a change?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of flow are we talking about? If growth and color are there....PE isn't the most important factor. Furthermore....how is PE at night?
Probably this ^^^

I have a number of acros with good coloration and that are growing but with limited polyp extension. My best guess is that the polyp extension for these particular corals is light and flow dependent and finding the "perfect spot" may cause better polyp extension (have had it happen before). . . HOWEVER, constantly moving around acro frags is probably a bad idea! If it's color is good and it is growing I leave it!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stupid question but have you looked for extensions a few hours after lights out?
I have. Some frags extend out, most don't.

Not every frag has reacted the same way, but with patience they all do what you want them to do? I don't see a problem. Initial polyp extension could be a reaction to the stress of shipment or change in tanks. Could it be a survival instinct to try to collect more food when there's a change?
No, even with patience they do not extend eventually, only some have (mostly after 6mo). I have had two frags just stn and die even after encrusting the rock. One frag did rtn but that was due to coral war (mushroom touched it).

Probably this ^^^

I have a number of acros with good coloration and that are growing but with limited polyp extension. My best guess is that the polyp extension for these particular corals is light and flow dependent and finding the "perfect spot" may cause better polyp extension (have had it happen before). . . HOWEVER, constantly moving around acro frags is probably a bad idea! If it's color is good and it is growing I leave it!
Right. I've been pretty patient to see how certain frags do in certain spots, so I can continue that. I'll try and see if moving some of them helps if they've been in a spot for a while witb little growth. Aka ill just continue to have faith and take it slow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back