Pond stocking

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stocking a 6 foot long 5 foot wide 2 foot tall pond in may and I want to inquire about what all could go in it it will be a fish only with LR and the must haves are a majestic angel a queen angel a niger trigger a lunare wrasse and a dog face puffer (he is around 8 inches already and does not pay any attention to my tail spot blennys or small damsels) so that puts me at 5 fish and I’m curious what I could add I’m going for large semi aggressive fish only and am thinking about maybe a Formosa wrasse and a dwarf lion fish and a medium sized eel like the dragon eel. This is my first time stocking a tank so large so please do not hold back any opinions on what I already have/if it will work/what I should add. Tank will have a lot of filtration 100 pounds of media+uv+skimmer+ carbon and chaeto reactors.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely have to share pictures - this sounds interesting! That's a big pond, so you can probably have a lot more fish than you realize.
its not built yet but i have a build thread dedicated to it (contains sketches and equipment right now). itll be built in may and stocked in early august with most fish (have some fish quarantined and conditioned to each other now i will be adding in may rest of fish ordered early june and will go through 4 weeks cs and two weeks prazipro/metroplexed food two week observation im not playing around with parasites and nasties that make this hobby unfun with this tank) its actually simple enough how i will do it im buying the rubber made stock tank which is 6x5x2 and then glueing a upside down 5 gallon bucket in the middle and setting a pool filter ontop of it so if it leaks it leaks back into the tank (it will work like a roller filter) with a rock structure around it and three phytotanks one for carbon two for chaeto. The skimmer is tbd.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely have to share pictures - this sounds interesting! That's a big pond, so you can probably have a lot more fish than you realize.
any opinions on what triggers i can keep in it? i would really like to go more towards like three triggers two large puffers and large wrasses instead of tangs etc

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the niger ones can get mean as f***.
Yeah I don’t own him anymore, made my first and hopefully last mistake with a qt tank. Was feeding before bed but wanted to turn sponge filter off so I could see who all was eating forgot to turn it back in then fell asleep for 10 hours.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a shop in San Luis Obispo out here in Cali and they have the same stock tank you’re getting. It’s set up on cinder blocks and they actually have it drilled with bulkheads and an overflow and use a sump on it. They keep a pair of California rays in it and s huge vlamingi tang. Anyhow just an idea if you wanted to run a sump on your pond it can be done.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any opinions on what triggers i can keep in it? i would really like to go more towards like three triggers two large puffers and large wrasses instead of tangs etc
I would go pink tail & blue jaw pair

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back