Pool saltwater system

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had a salt pool for 13 years. Replaced one cell and you can fix the power board if anything happens to it. I’ve had to replace the mother board and a couple of resistors over the years. I didn’t read every post but we lose salt when it rains heavily and that’s been pretty often here in Alabama. It’s still much cheaper than chlorine. One thing to watch is metal close to the pool. We’ve went through many Walmart chaise lounges chairs. The salt water eats them up and if the rust gets in your pool it will stain your liner. The salt also builds up in the mountain holes of ladders and rails if you have to remove them for installing a cover.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had a salt pool for 13 years. Replaced one cell and you can fix the power board if anything happens to it. I’ve had to replace the mother board and a couple of resistors over the years. I didn’t read every post but we lose salt when it rains heavily and that’s been pretty often here in Alabama. It’s still much cheaper than chlorine. One thing to watch is metal close to the pool. We’ve went through many Walmart chaise lounges chairs. The salt water eats them up and if the rust gets in your pool it will stain your liner. The salt also builds up in the mountain holes of ladders and rails if you have to remove them for installing a cover.
Yep, we had some really “nice” amazon lounge chairs. One storm blew them into the pool and they just got too rusty real quick after that. I have a pebble plaster finish and it has like 3 rust spots from my little one throwing metal toy cars in the pool and we didn’t see them to get them out right away.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once again forum folk know Everything. My salt cell lasted 17 years before a replacement. I live in Florida. I maintain everything myself and all statements made earlier are fact. I also acid wash my cell every 2-3 months as per manufacturer recommendations As well as wash filters weekly. I do not employ pool maintenance morons. Georgia has a kilo ton of pollen and off season time to the pool. I don’t have that. Mine is heated and covered and swimmable 365 days a year. Meticulously maintained and only uses 2-3 bags of salt per year. FACT.
This is totally untrue. The salt cell breaks the salt down to generate chlorine. It is consumed in normal operation. I have to add about a bag a month. In the winter the salt cell doesn’t work (below 50) so I use chlorine tabs in the baskets.

When people hear saltwater pool they think ocean or aquarium, but the salt level is much much lower. Closer to saline than ocean water, so much easier on your skin. I use about the same amount of salt for my 18,000 gallon pool that I use for my 150 gallon fish tank

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is corrosive but far less than chlorine. Where do you live?
That’s far more important than anything else. And by that, are you salting an above ground? Why would that matter, with all due respect! Pretty much all salt pools are in ground to my knowledge, to which some here would contest that I have none, however I own and maintain my own, and fix neighbors regularly.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once again forum folk know Everything. My salt cell lasted 17 years before a replacement. I live in Florida. I maintain everything myself and all statements made earlier are fact. I also acid wash my cell every 2-3 months as per manufacturer recommendations As well as wash filters weekly. I do not employ pool maintenance morons. Georgia has a kilo ton of pollen and off season time to the pool. I don’t have that. Mine is heated and covered and swimmable 365 days a year. Meticulously maintained and only uses 2-3 bags of salt per year. FACT.
I never said anything about how many bags you have to add in your particular situation. I said that salt is consumed and not just added to replace what splashed or is drained out. That is a FACT.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is corrosive but far less than chlorine. Where do you live?
That’s far more important than anything else. And by that, are you salting an above ground? Why would that matter, with all due respect! Pretty much all salt pools are in ground to my knowledge, to which some here would contest that I have none, however I own and maintain my own, and fix neighbors regularly.

A lot of people use salt for above ground pools and yes it’s an above ground pool and the system is made for it.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most above ground pools are metal and will rust with salt water but you can buy a pool made to with stand salt water.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most above ground pools are metal and will rust with salt water but you can buy a pool made to with stand salt water.

I’m not sure if they’ve changed construction methods due to the widespread use of salt systems, but traditionally vinyl liner in ground pools have steel walls too.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the ground being leveled hopefully this weekend and a water tanker in two weeks.

Ordered
A salt system
Cleaning robot
Solar cover
Solar heater
Skimmer
And stairs for the pool

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back