Poop clean up in qt

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one have any tricks for cleaning up fish poop from a bare bottom qt tank removing little to no water? I am getting ready to start copper, but would like to minimize water changes (and my fish poop a lot).
Thanks.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size QT, and how long will you be running your copper (presumably 30 days, followed by 2 weeks of additional observation)? The reason I ask is, most people use the smallest QT they can get away with, to save on water changes— which (other than fresh water evaporation top-offs), would have to be replaced with pre-medicated (i.e. proper strength copper) water. My point is, all things being equal, I just use a Seachem ammonia badge in a small-ish size QT and partially replace about 20% of the water before the ammonia builds up; maybe every 2-4 days, feeding lightly. I don’t really worry about removing the fish poop from the QT... why?... because the QT is not running in any beauty contest! (Lol) ;) Hope this helps. Others will chime in.

OP
OP
Twodogsnnc

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size QT, and how long will you be running your copper (presumably 30 days, followed by 2 weeks of additional observation)? The reason I ask is, most people use the smallest QT they can get away with, to save on water changes— which (other than fresh water evaporation top-offs), would have to be replaced with pre-medicated (i.e. proper strength copper) water. My point is, all things being equal, I just use a Seachem ammonia badge in a small-ish size QT and partially replace about 20% of the water before the ammonia builds up; maybe every 2-4 days, feeding lightly. I don’t really worry about removing the fish poop from the QT... why?... because the QT is not running in any beauty contest! (Lol) ;) Hope this helps. Others will chime in.

It’s a 20 gallon long. I was hoping to do weekly water changes.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80ADC6F0-07D7-4282-A768-38E016EE00A4.jpeg

(This is my QT set up, by the way. Two 5s and a 20.)

I think if you are just going to QT 1-2 smaller fish— again, providing you use an ammonia badge ($7 on Amazon)— you can get away with 5-7 days between water changes, “if” 1) you are presumably starting out with cycled DT water, and 2) you don’t overfeed. Really when you think about it: Even a 4-gallon Home Depot bucket water change every 4 days (20% of 20 gallons) isn’t too bad, if you had to go that route.

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one have any tricks for cleaning up fish poop from a bare bottom qt tank removing little to no water? I am getting ready to start copper, but would like to minimize water changes (and my fish poop a lot).
Thanks.

Turkey baster would work. Just be sure to sharpie a red X on the bulb, or something to indicate to only use it on the QT.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.

Another option is to use flexible 1/4” airline tube as your siphon hose.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a siphon hose with the dumping end pouring into a filter sock that you clip onto the edge of your fish tank so it hangs in the water. You can siphon indefinitely this way for more than just "poop." Works great for cleaning sand, removing algae, etc. Then just pull out the filter sock and clean as normal.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a siphon hose with the dumping end pouring into a filter sock that you clip onto the edge of your fish tank so it hangs in the water. You can siphon indefinitely this way for more than just "poop." Works great for cleaning sand, removing algae, etc. Then just pull out the filter sock and clean as normal.
Works great for a sump. Works with the end of the output side higher than the intake side?

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works great for a sump. Works with the end of the output side higher than the intake side?

no, the "out" has to be lower then the "in" for a syphon to work.
but you can hang the sock in a clean bucket, syphon into the sock/bucket, and dump the filtered bucket water right in.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often use my drain hose for QT water changes and run it along the bottom or areas that catch detritus and remove it with the water I remove for a water change. Nets work well.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the "out" has to be lower then the "in" for a syphon to work.
but you can hang the sock in a clean bucket, syphon into the sock/bucket, and dump the filtered bucket water right in.
That's what I thought just wanted to make sure I want missing something lol

Eheim vac is a great tool. Got a lot of good use out of that in my FW days

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do this but zip tie the tubing to a long rigid plastic rod for easy maneuvering.

Good point! I have also connected some rigid 1/4" tubing to the end of the flexible 1/4" tubing (especially when vacuuming bare bottom fry tanks). I haven't done that in a while and probably need to get back to it - thanks for the reminder!

OP
OP
Twodogsnnc

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is brilliant! I assume if I dosed copper it would likely not impact my levels?

Back