Poop cleaners?

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have only two nerite snails that I was able to move from freshwater to saltwater to help clean up diatoms. Well I figured I’d keep them in the saltwater tank since they do a good job of eating it but not all of the algae to cause a concern. The problem with nerite snails is that they poop all the time. They are fantastic cleaners but poop is a concern. I know I can just vacuum it out which is what I’ve been doing for about two weeks now. Are there any other things I can put in there to help with the poop? I have a 20 gallon long tank (since it’s my first).
image.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
C

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I guess I haven't noticed my nerites making that much of a mess in my tank, lol. The poo is broken down increasing your nitrifying bacteria in your system.
So I guess I should just continue to vacuum as much as I can while ignoring the stuff I miss?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks sterile, don’t vacuum it. It needs to get “dirty” to then be able to host tons of life. Are you using RODI water ?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I should just continue to vacuum as much as I can while ignoring the stuff I miss?

I'd stop vacuuming and let the cycle and tank progress. Don't worry about getting a little dirt in the tank, it needs it to mature properly.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a little phyto in there, maybe a diversity pack (amphi/copepods come to mind for detritus) from any of the good cuc places around ... just what’s worked best for me personally. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop vacuuming and let the cycle and tank progress. Don't worry about getting a little dirt in the tank, it needs it to mature properly.
Yeah I’m using RO/DI. The tank is fully cycled, I just haven’t gotten around to getting any fish yet.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m using RO/DI. The tank is fully cycled, I just haven’t gotten around to getting any fish yet.
Well, time to pick out that first fish and get it through a good quarantine process! Also start thinking about a cuc as well since the algae is coming...and ut really does need to come for the system to mature. Have you turned the lights on yet?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back