OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, white string or slime. That is a good sign of bacteria build up. Just continue VSV, or if you are around at home, put it on turbo mode (3 or 4 times dosing per day) and test effluent output. You are on track.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply and i am bit relaxed in knowing that I am on track.

My VSV dosing is like 5ml in the morning before leaving to work and 2ml at 12.00 ; 2ml at 4.00pm & 2ml at 8.00pm all are done manually.

Hope my nitrate in this weekend test will be better.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply and i am bit relaxed in knowing that I am on track.

My VSV dosing is like 5ml in the morning before leaving to work and 2ml at 12.00 ; 2ml at 4.00pm & 2ml at 8.00pm all are done manually.

Hope my nitrate in this weekend test will be better.

That will do. Hopefully you don't have to dose so many times once nitrate is in control. I put mine on turbo mode (3 x 5ml) and nitrate is gone. Shouldn't have fool around with it, my wild green digi monti hates me now...

WP_20170816_13_49_38_Pro.jpg

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes @TNT32D
I cant believe my eyes. I tested the reactor output today in the morning at 7.00am before feeding, i was shocked to see "0" in salifert and i hav re tested the reactor output in API which was also "0". Have a look. Will test the tank nitrate in evening and based on that will decide to reduce or to increase the VSV dosing. Since there is only LPS, i Can see that some of my corals are not happy as I am ;););).

Will check the tank nitrate and decide on the amount of VSV dosing. For me the reactor is a success.

Salifert nitrate test:
IMG_5640.JPG

API nitrate test
IMG_5639.JPG

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. My phosphate is at 0.03 while my nitrate is at 50 ppm. I think I might build one of these. Going to give my scrubber a chance to get it under control. Thank you very much for sharing

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes @TNT32D
I cant believe my eyes. I tested the reactor output today in the morning at 7.00am before feeding, i was shocked to see "0" in salifert and i hav re tested the reactor output in API which was also "0". Have a look. Will test the tank nitrate in evening and based on that will decide to reduce or to increase the VSV dosing. Since there is only LPS, i Can see that some of my corals are not happy as I am ;););).

Will check the tank nitrate and decide on the amount of VSV dosing. For me the reactor is a success.

Salifert nitrate test:
IMG_5640.JPG

API nitrate test
IMG_5639.JPG

I was crossing my fingers for you! Very nice results

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build this but I'm sumpless and don't want to chance it yet so my fish still get there fix of vodka every day and have the slime algae on the rocks. I've forwarded this thread in my local reef club as well.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build this but I'm sumpless and don't want to chance it yet so my fish still get there fix of vodka every day and have the slime algae on the rocks. I've forwarded this thread in my local reef club as well.

For sumpless system, a leakproof reactor is just what you need. With a little bit of creativity it can be built easily.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes @TNT32D

Salifert nitrate test:
IMG_5640.JPG

API nitrate test
IMG_5639.JPG

Update 19 Aug 17 : With nitrate test in tank water, Its amazing and the reading in Salifert is at 25ppm in the tank water so continuing with the VSV dosing till I am reaching below 10ppm as I want and then will continue with the half normal dosing daily.
IMG_5652.JPG

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can estimate the number of days needed to continue the same dosing until you reach 10ppm. You know how many days has lapsed since the start till latest test, and how much no3 has dropped.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can estimate the number of days needed to continue the same dosing until you reach 10ppm. You know how many days has lapsed since the start till latest test, and how much no3 has dropped.

Reactor started on 10 Aug 17 and tank water test on 18 Aug 17. It took 8 days to reduce 25ppm and I think in another 3 days I will reach my target.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. The best way to determine maintenance dosage is by simply reducing VSV about 1ml and test for a week at this dosage. You will be able to pin point the correct dosage once your nitrate stop decreasing. In the meantime, observe and learn how is your nutrient export and import rate, select a few corals as indicator, usually you will be able to spot their reaction for changes in nutrients level shifts after a while.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. The best way to determine maintenance dosage is by simply reducing VSV about 1ml and test for a week at this dosage. You will be able to pin point the correct dosage once your nitrate stop decreasing. In the meantime, observe and learn how is your nutrient export and import rate, select a few corals as indicator, usually you will be able to spot their reaction for changes in nutrients level shifts after a while.
As mentioned earlier, two of my corals are not happy with the nitrate reduction Daisy corals. I hope all will be ok with further reduction. If you had time can you explain in brief on how to learn nutrient import and export ratio ?

TNT32D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to go purchase the reactor media today. The first diagram shows two different sizes of media like Matrix. If I can find that do you recommend that or mentioned later in post to use Matrix and rings? Thank you

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to go purchase the reactor media today. The first diagram shows two different sizes of media like Matrix. If I can find that do you recommend that or mentioned later in post to use Matrix and rings? Thank you

Don't worry too much about media. Anything porous, inert and reef safe material works perfectly fine. The differences in sizes/materials and sandwiching arrangement are solely for ease of flow and creating the best environment for bacteria colonization.

Just bear in mind that sandwiching your medias are very crucial for a proper flow. Do not use the same media over 3" thick especially pumice stones as they can form a very tight arrangement and clogged once bacteria population is blooming. Pre-filter are highly recommended at the water inlet.

Just remember this:-

SANDWICH PATTERNS (1" - 2" THICK FOR EACH MATERIAL)
DIFFERENT SIZES AND SHAPES
POROUS AND INERT MATERIAL
ADJUSTABLE FLOW (REEF SAFE VALVE)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back