Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • I am using UV from the beginning, just to strerlize the water from floating algae and hopefully to kill some unwanted bacteria.
Oxydator :
Activated oxygen filters to every corner of your aquarium including those "dead pockets" which the current can't reach. It even penetrates the gravel bottom, making it an ideal biological filter.

2. Activated oxygen encourages aerobic micro-organisms which convert fish excreta and rotting food into harmless end products. They put an end to stale, foul odours from the pool bottom.

3. Activated oxygen itself rids water of noxious organic products like carbohydrates and nitrite by converting them into simple, safe substances like water, carbon dioxide and nitrate.

4. Activated oxygen improves redox-potential, killing the unwanted algae and bacteria which cloud water. Your tank or pond stays clean, clear and healthier.

5. Activated oxygen is converted to ordinary oxygen by the Oxydator's specially developed ceramic surface. The reliable, self-adjusting system maintains exactly the right balance of activated and pure oxygen which your pond or tank requires.

6. No need for a CO2 diffuser in most cases - the unique process of the Oxydator does not expel CO2 from your tank but actually helps it to form from organic matter.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use either UV or oxydator/ozone in my reef tank but from my limited understanding both are good at killing bacteria, juvenile parasites and dissolving organic material. I would remove or temporarily switch off these equipment and gives the tank sometime to build up the most important aspect of a reef tank, the biological filtration system itself.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes
Thanks for your valuable input and i agree fully what you have written. I have made them offline and will continue seeding the reactor till establishing biological filtration in my tank. I believe you and I hope this "Poor man's nitrate destroyer" will not fail me too....

TNT32D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if cant fit a 18" pipe into sump? Will it work with a shorter one? Can I compensate with a wider tube? Thx

TNT32D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not. I will buy the pipes today or tomorrow to see if I have enough space to slide them in

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not. I will buy the pipes today or tomorrow to see if I have enough space to slide them in

Shorter total length might decrease efficiency or you might end up without denitrification zone at all. You will never know without trying. It is not necessary to be twin tower, as long as there is enough travel time for oxygen depletion, it should work as intended. Be creative with the design, even if your reactor looks like a snake, it doesn't really matter as long as it performs :)

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TNT32D
Still its not colonised and I have made the below changes in my system,
  1. removed Oxydator
  2. removed aquaforest zeomix stones
  3. tried running UV for an hour a day and last week I have introduced two platinum clown which has got slight fungal infection on mouth may be a coincidence and I dont want to risk with the fishes, so UV is running back for 5 hours a day as before
  4. increase VSV dosing to 5ml in the morning and evening each
  5. reduced the flow to two drops per second
Will wait for another two weeks for the reactor to get started. Hopefully it does.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes
Since there may be some chance of fault in my previous version of the reactor and as per the suggestions from DJ, I have updated a new version which is much easier to built and i hope I will achieve better results this time. Please find below pictures.
Medias used inside the reactor :
IMG_5352.JPG
IMG_5353.JPG

Reactor built :
IMG_5355.JPG
IMG_5356.JPG
IMG_5357.JPG
IMG_5354.JPG

Marinepure 1" cubes filled in the U side of the tube :
IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5360.JPG

Please let me know any comments.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this time around it will work flawlessly for you @Ponraj A .

Just make sure the media is not compacted, especially pumice rocks. Start with slow flow so that the bacteria can colonise the media faster.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the flow slowly but due to voltage fluctuation today the reactor has getting stopped with the flow and my wife is monitoring and adjusting the flow to flow like a thin line.

Fingers crossed !!! I will do the test in 15 Aug 17 and post the results.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the best my friend. Socks on the effluent outlet will give you a rough idea about bacteria colonisation. May the slime be with you! Hehehe

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Donovan Joannes

I have tested nitrate from the reactor output but not half an hour after VSV, I was out of home for the last two days and hence the dosing is not carried up properly but the results are improved on my vision and I can see very good change in the water clarity. Find attached the below video in which you can see white jelly like thing in the tip of the output, do you mean this as bacteria slime ?

IMG_5565.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back