Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there mate!. Nice to hear your fantastic result!. Congrats and welcome to the club. I would recommend you to stop dosing into water column since your nitrate is un-detectable. We need some nitrate for our tank to flourish.
I likely will, before I got test kits I was sure I had nitrate because I had been feeding my coral banded shark silversides and shrimp, which I know dumps lots of waste into the tank, but he passed this week sadly.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likely will, before I got test kits I was sure I had nitrate because I had been feeding my coral banded shark silversides and shrimp, which I know dumps lots of waste into the tank, but he passed this week sadly.

Sorry for the lost. I wish I have 300G tank, would love to see a shark swimming in it. I saw a banded shark last month at my LFS and that creature is beautiful. Do you have corals?

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lost. I wish I have 300G tank, would love to see a shark swimming in it. I saw a banded shark last month at my LFS and that creature is beautiful. Do you have corals?
DIY one if you have the space, i did mine and the savings was huge, i spent less than half of what i have seen others spend on smaller setups.

Iv had a couple pieces for awhile but I just started adding more corals about a week or two ago, I have probably 40 frags, mostly zoas/palys, couple acans, couple chalice. I'll be adding a few euphyllia, a bunch of acans, and a few acro this week, and then after I'm sure acropora survives(which I'm most certain it will) I'll be stocking up on 20 or so acro pieces. Got a few more orders to make before I'll be happy, coral is the main reason I got into this hobby actually.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY one if you have the space, i did mine and the savings was huge, i spent less than half of what i have seen others spend on smaller setups.

Iv had a couple pieces for awhile but I just started adding more corals about a week or two ago, I have probably 40 frags, mostly zoas/palys, couple acans, couple chalice. I'll be adding a few euphyllia, a bunch of acans, and a few acro this week, and then after I'm sure acropora survives(which I'm most certain it will) I'll be stocking up on 20 or so acro pieces. Got a few more orders to make before I'll be happy, coral is the main reason I got into this hobby actually.

I will be on coral hunting next week. Lowest tide is coming, picking corals (SPS :D) is like picking apples in the market when the water level goes below the reef line. Wishing you the best in reefing!

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be on coral hunting next week. Lowest tide is coming, picking corals (SPS :D) is like picking apples in the market when the water level goes below the reef line. Wishing you the best in reefing!
Man I wish I lived near the ocean lol, good luck on your hunting!

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update after a long time, All the credit goes to @Donovan Joannes
My nitrate constantly between 0 - 2ppm with dosing 20ml of VSV through doser in 6 times a day. To bring the nitrates to 5ppm I have reduced the dosing to 18ml in 6 times a day. Will retest after a week and do changes if needed.

IMG_8681.JPG

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Any planktonic event happening so far?. Other than nitrate reduction, the reactor should produce some kind of planktonic foods occasionally. Won't be visible under bright lights, usually you can see it when the light source (natural sunlight from opposite window?) come from in front of you.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Any planktonic event happening so far?. Other than nitrate reduction, the reactor should produce some kind of planktonic foods occasionally. Won't be visible under bright lights, usually you can see it when the light source (natural sunlight from opposite window?) come from in front of you.
I have not noticed it as I dont know how it looks like. Will search for internet and also possible send some photos if you have.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an coffee strainer in the outlet of the reactor and it gets a white film on the filter. I usually clean in once a week. Other than that, I have changed my lighting for the betterment of my coral (two Hydra26 hd with Giesemann T5 (Aquable coral 2/Actinic 2). T5 runs only for 41/2 hrs a day during the peak of AI.
Lot of small particles flying around and have increase the gyre flow from 20% to 30% (two gyre XF250).

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in putting one of these together. My tank is a 220 gallon tank. I am at about 30 NO3 but would like to get that down. I am having cyano issues. I was looking at a bigger skimmer but I think this may be a better way to go. What kind of small pump could i use?? Any ideas guys would a maxijet pump work with a valve to slow it down.

Also does the U type design that @Ponraj A put together have any disadvantages. This seems like a really easy design. Does it allow for tge anaerobic bacteria on the second side or is two tubes joined a better option?

As for media I see that one guy used the bio rings in the whole thing. Is this a suitable style or is mixing up the different mediums that advantageous.

Also if I do use a small pump and it is dialed back do I have to seal the top or just put a small hole in the top to allow the water to flow out if it is backpressuring as there will not be much flow. I am already dosing vodka so if I were to just drill another hole in the top of the first chamber and run the hose in there would that work?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question what are people using to plumb the intake and discharge pipes of the reactor?

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in putting one of these together. My tank is a 220 gallon tank. I am at about 30 NO3 but would like to get that down. I am having cyano issues. I was looking at a bigger skimmer but I think this may be a better way to go. What kind of small pump could i use?? Any ideas guys would a maxijet pump work with a valve to slow it down.

Also does the U type design that @Ponraj A put together have any disadvantages. This seems like a really easy design. Does it allow for tge anaerobic bacteria on the second side or is two tubes joined a better option?

As for media I see that one guy used the bio rings in the whole thing. Is this a suitable style or is mixing up the different mediums that advantageous.

Also if I do use a small pump and it is dialed back do I have to seal the top or just put a small hole in the top to allow the water to flow out if it is backpressuring as there will not be much flow. I am already dosing vodka so if I were to just drill another hole in the top of the first chamber and run the hose in there would that work?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

"U" Version - Ofcourse the "U" version is much easier to built and also serves its purpose. Its working good so far. I have also changed to "U" version from the post of Donovan in another forum.
Media - I think after going through the whole thread you could get and idea that Bacteria need an porous house. So its your choice and only restriction is layer of sandwich to be followed when using finer media. If not you can just stuff your media to have non restricted flow.
Pump - I am feeding through an manifold from return line
Sealing the reactor - no need to seal the caps of the reactor. Need to drill one hole in the cap of first chamber for dosing
Seeding - To have faster results you can seed your media with bottled bacteria prior to housing them inside the reactor. Then you have to dose with the same bottled bacteria for 3 to 5 days before starting to dose VSV. I am dosing with 5ml of MB7 once a week to seed the reactors even after the needed results are achieved.
Reactor built - its better to have 4" PVC pipe for better results.
Carbon dose - I am using a mixture of vodka/Sugar/Vinegar

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Ponraj A for the info

Glad to hear the U version works. Would you be able to give the dimensions of your U version??

Also anyone know how much of the bio ring media a guy would need for the 4" version. I see that they come in a 500 gram bag but no idea how much that will be

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why the fluval biomax bio rings would not work throughout the whole reactor?? I may try this in the beginning and if works then great. If not I can always change out the media later. Let ne know your thoughts on this media @Donavan Joannes

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Ponraj A for the info

Glad to hear the U version works. Would you be able to give the dimensions of your U version??

Also anyone know how much of the bio ring media a guy would need for the 4" version. I see that they come in a 500 gram bag but no idea how much that will be

I have used 1kg of Dophin bacteris growing balls ; Sear siporax 1kg ; marine pure 1" cubes 18nos ; cheaper ceramic ring 1kg ; Biorb porous bio motion ball 1kg

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will see what I can find. Not sure I will be able to find much locally but may have to start with some and build it up over time. If the system does not have to be closed then this should not be an issue.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with the U version did it just fit perfect to stand up in your sump or did you use something to hold it in place so it wouldn't move around and knock over?

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For seeding the reactor would dr.tim's waste away bacteria work? I have some of that kicking around.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back