Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tank and setup, for me my reactor works just fine with no vodka, less than 1ppm when i last tested after stopping vodka
I am currently dosing 12ml of VSV per day at the rate of 1ml for every two hours. My nitrate is standing still at 2.5ppm (Salifert) with heavy feeding of 4 times a day (artemia, black worms, TDO pellets & DIY shrimp meat). I have tried reducing my dosage to 8ml per day and my nitrate went till 5ppm. I am having less rocks than you may be around 15kgs and sand bed of 2.5". Below are the things I like to change and plan to do by this week,
  • To get bacterial bio diversity, I am planning to start with the dosage of Prodibio biodigest and Bioptim
  • Want to reduce the carbon dosing as my pH is swinging from 7.99 to 8.18 for 24hrs with alk of 8.4dkh.
Do you have any suggestions please.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump would you recommend ? I have a Mj 1200 on it now put notice it was very strong for the reactor during water test had to keep the gate valve almost closed

827a7dc2e2701cdab989045094b8f563.jpg

Hope there’s no more leaks this time [emoji23]
I like.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just left Lowe’s. Some big. 6 inch pipe with y connectors and caps. Thinking of capping the end of the y so stands up straight. Then second chamber is the angled y. It will hold a lot of media even at only two feet.

Do have a question. Who is using the yellow balls. Ceramic sold on Amazon’s?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question. Of those of you using these. Do you have also other media in the sumps. I say this because I saw a video where the poster thought that in order to reduce nitrate the whole process had to take place in the block. They suggested. That if only nitrate was being processed that the reaction did not work. Stated another way he believed the whole amonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen gas all had to take place close to each other within a single block. Marine pure block, I personally disagree as the Arobic Bactria are everywhere for the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate process.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aquaneat from amazon, its probably the cheapest solution. I put other media in my sump but only because i had extra after i built my reactor. The whole process will take place in the reactor if you have the flow adjusted right. The goal is to let all the oxygen in the water be used up before it reaches the end of the reactor because the bacteria you need requires a lack of oxygen.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am building this as a denitrator.. i am not removing all my biological

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am building this as a denitrator.. i am not removing all my biological
You dont need to. I use this, a dsb, and cheato to keep my nitrates under 2ppm. Prior to cheato it was still 2ppm. This is a good method, mine just requires flow adjustments every few days as i guess the valve is closing itself? Idk.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is this the only manner you control the biological exchanges.. ? i will not be relying solely on this for that.. i cant.. too many fish ect.. i was going to install this to lower nitrates

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help dealing with an odor coming from my reactor. I've had this running for several months and recently noticed a strong odor from the discharge. It is not a sulfur smell but more like a vinegar smell. I does a mixture of vodka and vinegar, but mostly vodka. The odor is strongest when I increase flow through the reactor. I was doing 10ml/day but reduced it to 5ml/day. What does anyone recommend to solve this issue?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that too. Now when this does happen, not often, my diy denitrator I close incoming effluent valve and out going valve let it circulate within reactor for 2 days , helps some times. Mines a sulfur denitrator. Hope this helps.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is this the only manner you control the biological exchanges.. ? i will not be relying solely on this for that.. i cant.. too many fish ect.. i was going to install this to lower nitrates
This is pretty much it, i have a 4x4ft deep sand bed 4-6 inches, maybe deeper in some areas. 250+lbs of rock. I have a skimmer but after i finally got it dialed in the pump died.

I feed pretty heavy and its been fine.

This will work wonders if you need some extra filtration to lower nitrates.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help dealing with an odor coming from my reactor. I've had this running for several months and recently noticed a strong odor from the discharge. It is not a sulfur smell but more like a vinegar smell. I does a mixture of vodka and vinegar, but mostly vodka. The odor is strongest when I increase flow through the reactor. I was doing 10ml/day but reduced it to 5ml/day. What does anyone recommend to solve this issue?
Im not sure, i quit dosing anything into my reactor, i would guess maybe the flow is too much to use up everything you are dosing into it so you are smelling some coming out. How much water are you flowing through your reactor?

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure of the flow, but I did reprogram the dose to 2ml per day. Maybe I'll limit the days of the week too.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure of the flow, but I did reprogram the dose to 2ml per day. Maybe I'll limit the days of the week too.
Mine is like a drizzle from 2 air line size tubes. Just enough for it to hold together into a stream and not start breaking into drips.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a strong sulfur smell from my reactor. Too much flow, not enough flow or something else? Please advise how to correct this. Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back