Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you both had good results?

I plan to use 4” pvc, can you estimate how high the 1 gallon bag of those balls filled the pvc? Im wondering how many I will need. Thanks!
I've had great results, as it reduced my NO3 from 75 to 13 in 49 days and I'm maintaining that level. You've just got to be patient and follow the routine for the first 4-6 weeks to get the bacteria built up in the reactor. I've had no clogging issues. I thought my DT water was clear before adding the reactor but the carbon dosing has made it even clearer. I'm extremely happy with the results!

I've got a total of 54 inches of 4" PVC in my reactor (between both pipes) and my calculations match Gtinnel's math, as I estimate I've got 3 gallons in volume.

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great results, as it reduced my NO3 from 75 to 13 in 49 days and I'm maintaining that level. You've just got to be patient and follow the routine for the first 4-6 weeks to get the bacteria built up in the reactor. I've had no clogging issues. I thought my DT water was clear before adding the reactor but the carbon dosing has made it even clearer. I'm extremely happy with the results!

I've got a total of 54 inches of 4" PVC in my reactor (between both pipes) and my calculations match Gtinnel's math, as I estimate I've got 3 gallons in volume.

What did you find was the best routine? Are you referring to dosing MB7 for a while before hand?

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'routine' is detailed in my initial post, #1,333.

At start-up, I dosed MB7 for several days before starting to dose vodka. I continued to dose MB7 daily until I emptied the bottle.

The process really is pretty simple, just be patient with it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'routine' is detailed in my initial post, #1,333.

At start-up, I dosed MB7 for several days before starting to dose vodka. I continued to dose MB7 daily until I emptied the bottle.

The process really is pretty simple, just be patient with it.

I am going to use 120” of tower as I have the space. Do you think filling with only one type of media is okay vs using different types? Debating using just the bio balls vs the balls and rings. Not sure if it matters.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to use 120” of tower as I have the space. Do you think filling with only one type of media is okay vs using different types? Debating using just the bio balls vs the balls and rings. Not sure if it matters.
Concerning the media, there are basically only 2 considerations to consider (outside of price, availability, etc): 1) plenty of surface area for bacteria to grow on & 2) not too small or sized such that it would pack together too tight, causing clogging.

My take on Donovan initially using the different types of media was to ensure that it didn't pack together too tight, as the different shapes of the different types of materials would reduce clogging. The Aquaneat bio-balls & rings have shown (by multiple people on this thread) to satisfy both of those requirements, therefore no different types of media are required, but certainly can be used.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning the media, there are basically only 2 considerations to consider (outside of price, availability, etc): 1) plenty of surface area for bacteria to grow on & 2) not too small or sized such that it would pack together too tight, causing clogging.

My take on Donovan initially using the different types of media was to ensure that it didn't pack together too tight, as the different shapes of the different types of materials would reduce clogging. The Aquaneat bio-balls & rings have shown (by multiple people on this thread) to satisfy both of those requirements, therefore no different types of media are required, but certainly can be used.

Great thanks, are you able to estimate how much space the rings take up? They are sold by the pound instead of gallon it seems. Trying to optimize the space I have. Thanks!

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks, are you able to estimate how much space the rings take up? They are sold by the pound instead of gallon it seems. Trying to optimize the space I have. Thanks!
I'm not sure on the gallon-to-pound conversion on the rings. I knew I needed 3 gallons worth of media, so I purchased 2 gallons of the bio-balls & 1 6lb package of the rings and I ended up using all but 1/3 to 1/2 of the rings, as I only used the rings at the bottom where the two 4" pipes connect.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished setting mine up today. Used only bio balls at 6 gallons in 120” total length 4” pvc. Flushed for a while at high speed and then slowed down to +/- 100mls/min which is around 8-15% of total water volume per day.

Started by dosing 100mls of MB7 into the top and will do that daily for 5 days. Starting vinegar dosing after a few days, dosed at the top through the yellow line.

System is 360-400 gallons.

@blazn you stated you dosed 5mls/day vodka to start in a 120 gallon. That would put me at 120mls vinegar starting. That is a huge dose to start based on my past experience, is that accurate?
IMG_7088.jpeg
IMG_7089.jpeg

Last edited:

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I've never dosed vinegar, but everything I've read indicated you'd dose vinegar at 8 times the rate of vodka. So, my initial 5ml vodka does would equal 40ml vinegar. Your system is larger, so I'd probably start with more. But, if in doubt, be patient and start dosing slow and build up.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off dosing vinegar at 30 mls per day with dosing MB7 at 25mls per day. After 5 days increased to 60mls vinegar. After 5 more days increased to 120mls vinegar. The following day, 10 days after starting, my effluent is at 2.0ppm while the DT is at 75ppm.

Plan is to get more turnover through the reactor to cycle more water.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off dosing vinegar at 30 mls per day with dosing MB7 at 25mls per day. After 5 days increased to 60mls vinegar. After 5 more days increased to 120mls vinegar. The following day, 10 days after starting, my effluent is at 2.0ppm while the DT is at 75ppm.

Plan is to get more turnover through the reactor to cycle more water.
Excellent, you are certainly on your way to dialing in your NO3 to your preferred level! Be prepared to back down your vinegar once your DT measurement gets closer to where you want it, as it is easy to over do it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y’all controlling the effluent to stabilize nitrate? I have mine set up at the lowest possible flow rate and I am reducing nitrate by about 5ppm per day. Will reducing the carbon dose increase the effluent nitrate?

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y’all controlling the effluent to stabilize nitrate? I have mine set up at the lowest possible flow rate and I am reducing nitrate by about 5ppm per day. Will reducing the carbon dose increase the effluent nitrate?
Reducing the carbon dose will reduce the amount of nitrate reduction. Increasing the flow should do the same. Once you're approaching your preferred NO3 level, reduce the amount of carbon. During the initial 6-7 weeks, I was dosing up to 20ml/day of vodka. Now that my DT NO3 is down to 10, I'm only dosing 6ml/day to maintain that level.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any phosphate reduction?
I'm not counting on any measurable PO4 reduction (based on everything I've read) and I started using a minimal amount of GFO in a reactor at the same time I implemented my DND, which has maintained my preferred PO4 level.

I thought I had clear DT water before but I am very impressed with how crystal clear my DT water is now with the carbon dosing. My corals have started to increase their ALK/CALC consumption now that I'm maintaining desirable NO3/PO4 levels. Running a DND has had multiple positive results!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y’all fine controlling the flow? I am using 1/2” tubing due to not wanting to buy additional supplies. Using a 1/2” ball valve is very hard to get fine control. I was thinking of switching to 1/4” tubing and using 1/4” ball valve.

Reason being is I turned up the flow just a tad but it was enough to render the DND not working. Once I turned it back down the top was full of N2 bubbles again. Trying to dial in so I can get as high of flow as possible while keeping low NO3

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order gate valves online I think they are around 25 or so. That's what I use. Also be very careful of H2S if you slow it down too much.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with hydrogen sulfide with this and have a few questions.

As I’m trying to dial in the effluent , is it better to reduce carbon or increase flow ? Does that H2S production count on carbon at all or is that only from slow flow? I am at about 5 ppm NO3 in effluent. I want 25 so I am curious if it’s better to increase flow or reduce carbon, I want slower flow but I cannot with H2S.

What is the science behind the H2S production?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back