Pop-up Thunder Storms.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Mid-Atlantic Region, cheeked the Weather before I went to bed, nothing. About Midnight we got Hammered. Didn’t loose power this time. Several weeks earlier we lost power just shy of 8 hours, 12 volt back-up system saved my tanks. We just spent 3K getting storm damaged trees trimmed with what I couldn’t reach, and it all hauled off. Hope it’s not a repeat.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Mid-Atlantic Region, cheeked the Weather before I went to bed, nothing. About Midnight we got Hammered. Didn’t loose power this time. Several weeks earlier we lost power just shy of 8 hours, 12 volt back-up system saved my tanks. We just spent 3K getting storm damaged trees trimmed with what I couldn’t reach, and it all hauled off. Hope it’s not a repeat.
Best of luck to you!! What does your battery backup setup look like?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dealt with the same issues over the years being from Florida. I don’t have one of the “fancy” reef batter backups, but my battery backup has come in handy several times.

How do you have your battery backup setup? Mine has surge protected plugs and a separate set of outlets that are fed by the battery if the power is cut. I have a power strip plugged into the backup with “the essentials” like return pumps and wave makers hooked up. The power power draw helps the backup last a few more hours.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dealt with the same issues over the years being from Florida. I don’t have one of the “fancy” reef batter backups, but my battery backup has come in handy several times.

How do you have your battery backup setup? Mine has surge protected plugs and a separate set of outlets that are fed by the battery if the power is cut. I have a power strip plugged into the backup with “the essentials” like return pumps and wave makers hooked up. The power power draw helps the backup last a few more hours.
How big is your battery? I setup one recently but was only able to plug in my gyre pump because I wanted it to last a while. With a 35Ah battery, it can last about 26 hours.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck to you! Always a concern of mine when I'm out of town, and we have thunderstorms rolling in non-stop haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If this is a regular occurrence, consider a portable generator. At minimum, have 1-2 battery operated air pumps with air stone, ice packs to float if weather is warm, a thermal blanket to wrap around tank if temperature cools off and a thermometer to monitor water temp. Water can safely drop to 70 and rise to 83 before reacting

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a regular occurrence, consider a portable generator. At minimum, have 1-2 battery operated air pumps with air stone, ice packs to float if weather is warm, a thermal blanket to wrap around tank if temperature cools off and a thermometer to monitor water temp. Water can safely drop to 70 and rise to 83 before reacting
Yeah true! I have had my tank drop to 68 multiple times because I turned off my heaters and never turned them back on, nothing in the tank seemed off.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back