Popeye the clownish- advise on meds for popeye

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen posts on this subject and wanted to see if the community can diagnose my issue.
just received from collector a pair of A.Polymnus and after 2 days the female seems to have popeye, I never treat for popeye as usually it subsides but in this case I want to try and get to the problem... its been many many years since I've even seen it so things might have changed.

symptoms on the effected fish are heaving breathing and sides of fish seem to have a slight discoloration and of course the popeye, the shipping was not the best as they were shipped in the same bag with a plastic container in the bag that opened up and gave them even less room, the water was a little cloudy and cold.

my first thought is bacteria but also could be damage from the container or both, it has only affected the female larger fish, I have attached a pic.

was thinking Formalin (i keep on hand for new arrivals) or broad spectrum antibiotic like Maracyn.

let me know your thoughts...

IMG_3166.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally, one eye showing this symptom is due to some damage, and that will either go away on its own, or if it gets infected, Maracyn 1 in a treatment tank may help.

When both eyes are affected, the issue is less clear. Still, it could have thrashed about during shipping and caused damage to both eyes. I would say that Maracyn in a treatment tank would be the way to go in this case. Supersaturation can also cause this, but the other fish has no symptoms, and would have been exposed to the same condition, so I think you can rule that out.

You say you got these from a collector. Wild caught then. Wild clowns also have issues with Brooklynella. No symptoms of that here, but watch for mucus developing on their skin.

Jay

OP
OP
californiarob

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thX.... on the comments,
I' am hoping its from shipping but I am going to QT the female and start the Maracyn treatment and see how it goes.... Brooklynella is very deadly and have dealt with that and the reason why I keep pure Formilin.

Back