Porcupine, S&S, or Dog Face in a 180g?

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I will be stocking my 180g Fowlr over the next several months. I will have a Tomato and snowflake eel in the tank. I plan on adding a puffer; however, which puffer would do the best in this small of a tank?

I will add one trigger lastly, most likely a Humu, Bursa, or Niger. My will have a Cream Angel and a Scopas or a Chocolate Powder Tang as well if that works out.

Which puffer would do best with this stocking?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for the dogface, they will stay relatively small are fun and personable, and will bother no one, The stars and stripes are also lovable but with a bit more heft. Porc are notorious nippers and many get pretty aggressive when mature, I am not a fan. I would not keep one with one of my eels due to their habit of nipping, if they happen to give an eel a nip maybe seeing the tail sticking out of a rock, this injury could turn bad.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for the dogface, they will stay relatively small are fun and personable, and will bother no one, The stars and stripes are also lovable but with a bit more heft. Porc are notorious nippers and many get pretty aggressive when mature, I am not a fan. I would not keep one with one of my eels due to their habit of nipping, if they happen to give an eel a nip maybe seeing the tail sticking out of a rock, this injury could turn bad.
Thanks for the reply. Doggo it is...

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow seems like porc puffers are getting lots of hate today lol. I know lion king has tons of experience with predatory fish and I respect his opinion and have asked it several times but I gotta say I have a porc in my 180 with a zebra moray and he pays him no attention at all. I have yet to see any aggression out of him besides feeding time and that’s minimal. Maybe I’m lucky with mine so far who knows maybe it’s a jeckyl/ Hyde scenario?? Time will tell but I think porcs are great pets just my two cents.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept 3, here's my last one I had for about 10 years, I gave her to a friend after I decided to turn the tank into a tessa tank. I say she because she was about 7.5" full grown and ate like a pig. So I am biased.

20220908_181311.jpg

20220908_181253.jpg

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Ooh nice Tessalata get 5+ feet, pretty impressive predator.

What are your opinions with a Volitan with a DF...and a milder Trigger for that matter? It is probably one or the other I imagine. I really want a Lion, but maybe more so a puffer/trigger. I see this asked alot with mixed results. Lions are very beautiful fish though.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Ooh nice Tessalata get 5+ feet, pretty impressive predator.

What are your opinions with a Volitan with a DF...and a milder Trigger for that matter? It is probably one or the other I imagine. I really want a Lion, but maybe more so a puffer/trigger. I see this asked alot with mixed results. Lions are very beautiful fish though.

They are all good; puffer, lion(volitan right), some triggers, your eel. I wouldn't trust a porc with any of my lions either. Here's my last volitan that was with that puffer and a few triggers. a couple of tangs and a couple of angels.

1677648179793.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back