Porites lost color

  • Thread starter Thread starter DVal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DVal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2017
Messages
381
Reaction score
273
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Darth Maul Porites that bleached/faded color awhile back, so I moved it to lower light. It's been about 2 months and the color is only barely better. My parameters seem to be pretty good. Alk 9.0, nitrates 4, phos .07, calcium 470, Mag 1440, pH 8.4.

Any ideas? Should I keep it in the lower light or go ahead and gradually move it up since it's been a couple of months? Or should I keep it in lower light until the color totally returns (or will it in that lower light?). Thanks in advance.
 
Interesting, since porites, and the Darth Maul ones, tend to like higher PAR. Are they in heavy flow? That is favored by them as well. I haven't had porites in about 20 years, so that's about all the help I can offer.
This Tidal Gardens page has some care information and a YouTube video:
https://www.tidalgardens.com/stock-darth-maul-porites.html
 
It was at about 285 par and in fairly decent flow. I was slowly working it up to its final spot when this happened. The place I was going to put it has higher flow and around 300par
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new