Portable RO/DI systems?

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 10 gallon reef and am hoping to set up another 30-55 gallon reef in the near future. Currently I am buying distilled/RODI water by the gallon. I'd like to get a portable RO/DI system since I live in an apartment but I'm wondering if they're worth it. Right now I only use 3 gallons a week at most. With an additional tank I'm estimating I would need 20 gallons a week at most. The water here isn't too hard, around 150 TDS. What are some quality RO/DI systems that fit those needs?

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation and looking to hear what people might recommend.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airwaterice supplies faucet adapters with their full sized rodi systems. That's what I use in my apartment. Never tried the portable type

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd avoid the Buddy or twist systems. Any system that has proprietary filters isn't worth it. Typically these have filter replacements that are FAR more expensive to replace than standard systems. And in the long run you will end up spending more. My favorite system although not the cheapest on the market is a Spectrapure 4 stage maxcap 90gpd system.

Almost every system out there of the larger variety come with faucet adapters. When I was renting I used a regular system that I plumbed over my toilet in an over the toilet cabinet. This gives you the advantage of a semi-permanent, upgradable system that, if you want to upgrade to a larger tank in the future, you're already set and don't need to upgrade your water production system.

This is my original system when we were renting, I did end up plumbing this semi permanent into the sink which isn't that hard to do, or to remove when you move.
downloadfile-18.jpg

And this is it after the upgrades when I moved into our home we bought.
20181130_193223.jpg

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This unit is actually very nice for that kind of application.

The Nice Parts:
It has a built in pump
It has indicators lights for when the filters are exhausted.
compact size and easy to change filters.

The Bad:
Must use their filter cartridges
Your going to need a separate DI canister to run the output through.

OP
OP
Sinibotia

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This unit is actually very nice for that kind of application.

The Nice Parts:
It has a built in pump
It has indicators lights for when the filters are exhausted.
compact size and easy to change filters.

The Bad:
Must use their filter cartridges
Your going to need a separate DI canister to run the output through.

The link appears to be broken. What's the name of the unit?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first few years I used a portable RODI. Check out purewaterclub. The filters weren't anything special or all that pricier (actually mostly just T33). I just added a DI resin container (can buy from them) and that saved quite a bit. Ultimately, when I priced it out, for the 40 gallon I was running at the time, between filter changes and upkeep, the full RODI would break even after 3 years (this will depend on how many gallons you go through). Ultimately, as money was tight, I went with the portable option and still have it for whenever I move. No difference TDS wise between my regular RODI and the portable as long as you stay on top of filter replacement and DI resin.

L1g_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 10 gallon reef and am hoping to set up another 30-55 gallon reef in the near future. Currently I am buying distilled/RODI water by the gallon. I'd like to get a portable RO/DI system since I live in an apartment but I'm wondering if they're worth it. Right now I only use 3 gallons a week at most. With an additional tank I'm estimating I would need 20 gallons a week at most. The water here isn't too hard, around 150 TDS. What are some quality RO/DI systems that fit those needs?
Can’t go won’t wrong with BRS a 3 stage if your pinching money or something like the 75gpd drinking system, you get enough water and can drink it too! Double pay back!

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody used the 4 stage RO/DI buddie? I'm trying to figure out if/how it can be hooked up to a regular old faucet.
I use it and connect it to the sink faucet. It comes with the adapter. I set my bucket in the bathtub and the wastewater just goes down the drain. You can also open the di resin container and replace it. I bought a giant bulk bag of it and swap it out as it depletes for way cheaper than buying a new cartridge.

OP
OP
Sinibotia

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and connect it to the sink faucet. It comes with the adapter. I set my bucket in the bathtub and the wastewater just goes down the drain. You can also open the di resin container and replace it. I bought a giant bulk bag of it and swap it out as it depletes for way cheaper than buying a new cartridge.
This is just the most sensible thing for me. At the rate I use water it would be years before a pricier system paid off. As it is, I'm thinking maybe I'll just wait on a higher quality RODI system and just keep buying distilled water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same situation, needed a small system.
I went for the standard size RO/DI, I just stick it in a cupboard when done, it’s a 4 stage system but it is still only the size of say a box of cornflakes.
I have a Y adapter on the washing machine inlet, I have attached the RO line to this, put a ball valve on the end, all I need to do when using the system is pull the system out the cupboard, attach the line to the RO unit, turn the ball valve and away I go.

I wouldn’t say there is a need to go for a system that is especially designed for small spaces, as I would think you would be compromising on the system in some way.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage 75 gpd portable. I put mine away after each use. The kitchen faucet was problematic and the threading on sink faucets can be made of plastic that won't hold up over time or are not standard due to all the artistic designs.

The laundry spigot did the trick. I grab the unit from my storage shelf and an empty 5 gal water jug. close the valve, unscrew the laundry line, attacked the rodi, put the water line in the washer machine, open the valve and 1 hour 20 minuter later I am done. Everything is put back and no evidence.

read the the manufacturers specs closely. Check you local water specs- see if they use chorine or chloramine. If they use chloramine, your rodi needs a filter specific for that (most do). Also, check their TDS output specs. Not all portable are equal when it comes to acceptable final TDS. Mine list 5TDS and I am fine with that as my municipal water is pretty low TDS to start with, but when I get around to upgrading, I will get one designed for 0 TDS and attached a meter.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t necessarily need a so called “portable“ RODI unit. Don’t feel you have to skimp because it’s not permanently hooked up. I run a top of the line Spectrapure 5-stage unit that I keep in a crate and store when not in use. I keep John Guest valves on the input and output lines so that upon system shut down, I can be assured that water stays sealed in the unit and my membranes and filters remain wet. When I hook it up, I attach it to a John Guest angle stop valve installed on the cold water line beneath my kitchen sink.

B45E406A-3F18-41A4-B605-053A2DBDB2B2.jpeg
DE997AA2-92C7-4C2B-AB0C-C81BCC41AE59.jpeg

I use this 1/4x3/8x3/8 angle stop valve.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speactrapure sells a budget-minded Refurb unit or something similar for cheap, I have it, works great.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back