Possible bobbit worm

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I located the worms burrow and stuck a piece of fish on a skewer right next to it. However it took NO INTEREST in it at all!! Could it be a different type? Ive been observing it for the past two hours and its been in.and out mainly grabbing what appeared to be small rocks????

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I located the worms burrow and stuck a piece of fish on a skewer right next to it. However it took NO INTEREST in it at all!! Could it be a different type? Ive been observing it for the past two hours and its been in.and out mainly grabbing what appeared to be small rocks????
Any chance at a picture or video of the critter in question?

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please get a picture for better chance of ID on this creature.
Looks 100% but has no interest in this ....
Screenshot_20180509-230118.jpg
20180509_204859.jpg

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like a bobbit worm.... Not sure what kind tho. You could try using a diy trap to catch him overnight. Put a variety of food in it and see what you get. Then set up a separate tank to keep him in and grow in ;) Have you had any fish go missing? He might not be hungry.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree those "face tentacles" are a sure sign of a eunicid (bobbit worm). Usually they're more aggressive when the lights are off

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one of those Bobbit worms on David Attenborough Blue Plant 2, and it was the most aggressive little beast of a thing. It made me jump when it attacked the fish.

I would be careful when getting to close to it and maybe tie your legs to something strong outside the tank just to be on the safe side!

Last edited:

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about this worm so I wiki it,

Name

The name "Bobbit worm" was coined in the 1996 book Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific, in reference to Lorena Bobbitt,[8] who was then very much in the public consciousness. The name is inspired only by the scissorlike jaws of the worm; the common supposition from the name that female eunicids cut off the males' penises is baseless, and the worms in fact lack penises entirely, as they are broadcast spawners.

Interesting lol

Back