Possible coral and aiptasia?

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some zoa's that were on a dead coral skeleton rock and I noticed green polyps extending from a small portion of the rock that look like this when closed
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 12.10.41 PM.png

and as i was looking around the rock I saw this

At first I immediately thought aiptasia but now that I'm looking at it closely... it doesn't really resemble what I've search up aiptasia to be. In the video you can kind of see that the ends of tentacles are ball shaped and the body is orange? and it has a slit as a mouth I think. I searched up aiptasia look alike and found ball anemone and cup coral?
I'm not really sure though any help would be much appreciated thank you!

- I'll add pictures later when the tank lights are on.

OP
OP
ot7

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an idea of what type? It kind of looks like sps but I might be completely wrong.
the bottom pic is how it looks like extended

also anyone know what the second pic is? I think it really isnt aiptasia bc right now the tentacles are retracted and the ends of the tentacles are like little ball shapes... unless if the tips of aiptasia are rounded.. I cant seem to get good pictures of it ill try later

IMG_0872.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D6452B4-C2E1-4399-90B4-954ABC8A7506.jpeg
Ball shape at the end of the tentacles leads to believe ball tipped anemone. It really is not a anemone more of the lines of a mushroom. It’s Condylactis. This is mine in my tank. I’m letting them go and see how it goes. Some say they can become invasive.

OP
OP
ot7

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D6452B4-C2E1-4399-90B4-954ABC8A7506.jpeg
Ball shape at the end of the tentacles leads to believe ball tipped anemone. It really is not a anemone more of the lines of a mushroom. It’s Condylactis. This is mine in my tank. I’m letting them go and see how it goes. Some say they can become invasive.
Ah! yes it does look like that! oh i guess i'll let it be too.
I added a video for a better view of it

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some zoa's that were on a dead coral skeleton rock and I noticed green polyps extending from a small portion of the rock that look like this when closed

and as i was looking around the rock I saw this

At first I immediately thought aiptasia but now that I'm looking at it closely... it doesn't really resemble what I've search up aiptasia to be. In the video you can kind of see that the ends of tentacles are ball shaped and the body is orange? and it has a slit as a mouth I think. I searched up aiptasia look alike and found ball anemone and cup coral?
I'm not really sure though any help would be much appreciated thank you!

- I'll add pictures later when the tank lights are on.

This here pic looks like an sps of some sort. Way to small to guess.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty , I think you are right. A lot of the time zoes are grow on coral skeletons and some times the coral skeleton will start to produce the coral again.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball tipped 'nems. Kinda cute and I've read they don't grow over 1/2". I actually feed mine live brine....... BAM, gone! I figure if they get out of hand I'll fall back on super glue to solve the issue, but after 3 months I haven't seen any new ones.

patoko878

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of zoas with aiptasia growing under and noticed zoas to lose color. Is that due to stinging?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of zoas with aiptasia growing under and noticed zoas to lose color. Is that due to stinging?
Hard to say what effect the sting will cause.
Depends I think on the coral and the aptasia and the contact time of the sting.

OP
OP
ot7

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its coral and a ball anemone. this is just an update. Also an extra coral(?) growing that idk what it is.

This is what the coral section looks like its gotten a bit bigger compared to a few months ago
IMAG0065.jpg

This is what is looks like closed (still dont know what it is. Kind of feel like it is what the original coral skeleton was?)
IMAG0067.jpg

Also this also started growing. Looks like coral but I've never seen something like it before. They're tube like, where the ends of the tube are fluorescent green and the little hairs that come out of it are also fluorescent green.

IMAG0070 (1).jpg

The ball anemone is alive and well, it developed green streaks around the mouth, pretty cool. There is also a another one growing next to it just havent been able to take pictures of it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back