Possible Dinos and corals mad!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this Dinos!!! My Xenia coral is shriveled, and my Zoas and mushrooms aren’t too happy, it was in smaller amounts a couple of days ago and now it has grown to larger amounts it is just barely growing on the glass now except for that, it is only in the sand bed.
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it. The best thing to do is get a microscope and determine what kind they are. Some can be fought with UV and/or peroxyde, some need silicate dosing.
Would Dino x work in them?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a microscope…
You can get one from Amazon. Lots of people buy this one : AmScope M150C / M150C-I 40X-1000X from Amazon.

Or ask local reefers if they have one. If not, start with the peroxyde method and if it doesn’t work, then you can try silicate. It will be trial and error.

@vetteguy53081 has the recipe for the peroxyde treatment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
is this Dinos!!! My Xenia coral is shriveled, and my Zoas and mushrooms aren’t too happy, it was in smaller amounts a couple of days ago and now it has grown to larger amounts it is just barely growing on the glass now except for that, it is only in the sand bed.
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg
When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more. No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is by a window that gets a lot of light, should I cover it? Also should the carbon be removed? I just have lps and softies so will turn off the lights

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So the tank is by a window that gets a lot of light, should I cover it? Also should the carbon be removed? I just have lps and softies so will turn off the lights
Add black construction paper from walmart to the side facing a window- will help tremendously

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more. No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
So should I stop dosing neonitro and neophos during this time? I have read that raising nitrate a phosphate can help with the fight against Dinos

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So should I stop dosing neonitro and neophos during this time? I have read that raising nitrate a phosphate can help with the fight against Dinos
While they can, they also fuel the issue. Focus on the recipe and get the cells addressed, then move to increase nutrients

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they can, they also fuel the issue. Focus on the recipe and get the cells addressed, then move to increase nutrients
How long until I should start dosing again? I have Xenia, torchs, hammers, frogspawn, gonipora, alveapora devils hand leathers, Ricordia, and the orange mushroom that I don’t know the name of, cloves, zoas, duncan, chalice, and a hairy rhodactis mushroom. I’m not sure if any of these corals are light dependent, can I turn off the lights?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok…correct me if I am wrong, but that looks nothing like dinos. Stuff I have seen, it’s stringy, slimy, and very efficient at trapping air. It’s more like cyano in appearance than this is. I see none of that here. I think it’s just your garden variety algae that is waiting to be eaten by snails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but the pics are pretty bad and I am going to hopefully get a positive I’d today

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 do you think these look like dinos?
Im taking your word but can also be diatoms. Its often hard to tell visually and best under microscope. That recipe will also attack diatoms and cyano as they all have a cell structure that loves light

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back