Possible Dinos?

tmb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought what I had is dinoflagellates, and maybe that still is the case, but under a microscope, the cells look a lot smaller from other ID guides. Also, the cells are not moving whatsoever under the microscope, and in videos of other dino IDs, the cells are moving. What are you guys' thoughts?

This is under 100x magnification (under 100x, other dino IDs appear to have much bigger cells, or so I've seen)
ktxPZNB.jpg

This is what a sample looks like floating in water (there's a weird textured paper towel under the glass)
gaepq0h.jpg

And this is what it looks like on the rocks. It's only on the rocks, not on the sandbed whatsoever.
9c3kLmn.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Not Dino's.

The microscope pic is either a bit out of focus or too low a resoultion btw.

OP
OP
tmb22

tmb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Not Dino's.

The microscope pic is either a bit out of focus or too low a resoultion btw.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, it's not the best microscope, just the best Amazon has to offer under $100 :D

Here's a higher res photo under 100x magnification:
3ZFWccj.jpg

And here's a shot under 400x magnification:
rwxF3ka.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea those are much better.

Personally I think manual removal and a bunch more snails , unless your talking about a mass invasion.
Common slime or mulm.

@mcarroll @reeferfoxx have you seen anything like this ? Or know if who may?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? What is your po4 and no3 readings?

OP
OP
tmb22

tmb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? What is your po4 and no3 readings?
Tank has been set up for 8 months.
PO4 = around 0.05 (Hanna Phosphorus reader)
NO3 = 5ppm - 3ppm (Salifert)

I purposely keep detectable nitrates and phosphates, and the corals have been struggling ever since this algae has appeared. I've also noticed lots of this algae blowing around in the water column and clouding the view (but not cloudy as if bacterial) if I look down the tank. Also adds a bit of yellow tint to the water as well. I was almost hoping it was dinoflagellates so at least I know what the issue is. The algae mostly appears to be little fluffy specks attached to rocks. It's not on the sandbed at all. There are a few stringy pieces as well.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your snail poulation ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got approximately zero snails. Does this algae look like something that might kill them if they ate it?
Nope. That what the snails are for. To eat that stuff. Most folks have no idea the work the CUC does till it's not there.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got approximately zero snails.
Astrea and Trochus eat it but you'll have to take a toothbrush and clear off the thick areas before they do. Once you've try that route and it doesn't get better, there is another way to clear it out but requires some work. I recommend the snails first. It doesn't appear to be that bad in your case.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the CUC.....but if your bloom is toxic, they will be short-lived. I'd add just a few snails at first and add more after that if it goes well for them.

The "on the rocks" photo looks like chysophytes, but I never had mine under a microscope to compare to your scope photos.

If you know, can you summarize what led up to their appearance? It's interesting that you have them AND seemingly normal nutrient levels, so we really need your backstory. :) :) For some (including me), it has been a salinity spike, for example. Your case may be more or less similar though. :)

OP
OP
tmb22

tmb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the CUC.....but if your bloom is toxic, they will be short-lived. I'd add just a few snails at first and add more after that if it goes well for them.

The "on the rocks" photo looks like chysophytes, but I never had mine under a microscope to compare to your scope photos.

If you know, can you summarize what led up to their appearance? It's interesting that you have them AND seemingly normal nutrient levels, so we really need your backstory. :) :) For some (including me), it has been a salinity spike, for example. Your case may be more or less similar though. :)
Nothing extraordinary led to their appearance I don't think. If I had to pinpoint it, I'd say when I started feeding a bigger variety of food (instead of just Mysis and pellets, I started feeding pellets, mysis, nori, oysterfeast, arctipods, and celanus). I was dosing KNO3 to keep nitrate levels up to 5ppm, but since I started feeding more, I found I didn't have to dose KNO3 anymore to keep NO3 where I wanted. My levels have always stayed right around where I want them, but I think the lack of CUC must have been the cause. Really, the algae isn't too bad right now still as I've been doing weekly WCs and blowing the algae off the rocks with a turkey baster. Just wanted to get a head start in case they were indeed identified as dinos. I'm putting an order in for a bunch of snails as soon as I'm back home from vaca.

Also, I saw a test somewhere that said if you take a sample of water with the suspect algae in it (dinos), then shake it all up so the dinos dissolve, then pour that water over something like a coffee filter or paper towel into a cup, the dinos will reappear in the filtered water in a few hours after being exposed to direct sunlight. If the filtered water doesn't contain "dinos" after a few hours in direct sunlight, then they weren't dinos to begin with. You guys heard of this test and is it legit? I tried it and did not have "dinos" in the filtered water after several hours in the sun.

I cycled a tank once and didn't put snails in, just for fun.
IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG

Haha that second picture looks exactly like the algae that I'm questioning is dinos in my tank. Snails must be the answer then. Although unfortunately I'll have to keep chasing down the rabbit hole to find the cause of my corals troubles then if it's not dinos. I'm eagerly awaiting an ICP test I sent in a bit ago. Is there a chance the algae I have right now could be contributing to SPS problems? I'm experiencing rather pale corals even with my levels of Nitrate and Phosphate (No3 = 5ppm, Po4 = 0.05ppm)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm eagerly awaiting an ICP test I sent in a bit ago. Is there a chance the algae I have right now could be contributing to SPS problems? I'm experiencing rather pale corals even with my levels of Nitrate and Phosphate (No3 = 5ppm, Po4 = 0.05ppm)
low flow can also cause pale corals.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing extraordinary led to their appearance I don't think. If I had to pinpoint it, I'd say when I started feeding a bigger variety of food (instead of just Mysis and pellets, I started feeding pellets, mysis, nori, oysterfeast, arctipods, and celanus). I was dosing KNO3 to keep nitrate levels up to 5ppm, but since I started feeding more, I found I didn't have to dose KNO3 anymore to keep NO3 where I wanted. My levels have always stayed right around where I want them, but I think the lack of CUC must have been the cause. Really, the algae isn't too bad right now still as I've been doing weekly WCs and blowing the algae off the rocks with a turkey baster. Just wanted to get a head start in case they were indeed identified as dinos. I'm putting an order in for a bunch of snails as soon as I'm back home from vaca.

Also, I saw a test somewhere that said if you take a sample of water with the suspect algae in it (dinos), then shake it all up so the dinos dissolve, then pour that water over something like a coffee filter or paper towel into a cup, the dinos will reappear in the filtered water in a few hours after being exposed to direct sunlight. If the filtered water doesn't contain "dinos" after a few hours in direct sunlight, then they weren't dinos to begin with. You guys heard of this test and is it legit? I tried it and did not have "dinos" in the filtered water after several hours in the sun.

Haha that second picture looks exactly like the algae that I'm questioning is dinos in my tank. Snails must be the answer then. Although unfortunately I'll have to keep chasing down the rabbit hole to find the cause of my corals troubles then if it's not dinos. I'm eagerly awaiting an ICP test I sent in a bit ago. Is there a chance the algae I have right now could be contributing to SPS problems? I'm experiencing rather pale corals even with my levels of Nitrate and Phosphate (No3 = 5ppm, Po4 = 0.05ppm)
Pale coral could be unrelated. When I had this growth I did experience a competition for nutrients. This could also be related to lighting and alkalinity levels.

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sweet baby Jesus. It seems as though you have a variety of algae present. I'd recommend Zebra Turbos. It appears you have a pretty small aquarium. I run 2 zebras in my nano spec v with 2 mex red legs and 6 blue legs. They keep it spotless with limited coral disruptions. You'll prob need a rental crew.

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

His nutrient levels could be low as a result of consumption from the algae.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dino's can swim whereas other algae that might be similar-looking in bloom form cannot.

So if you swirl up a sample of mat to break it up, only dino's will re-coagulate into a mat or strands after a little while. (Being under light should help.)

There is a test that involves a paper towel, but I dunno if that's for diatoms or dino's.....not sure it's required.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back