Possible Dumb Question - Filling the Tank the First Time?

LauriesaurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

We have purchased our Red Sea Reefer 425 XL and should get it in the next 4-6 weeks. My husband and I are currently debating how to fill the tank with 112 gallons of water the first time?

We are planning on purchasing an RODI system. We will have our tank on a wall in our house near a window (that does not receive direct light) which is near an outdoor water spigot.

Option 1: Hook up RODI system to outdoor spigot and run hose from RODI system to tank through the window.
Pros: Easy
Cons: Lots of wastewater going into the side yard which has terrible drainage. Possible annoyed next door neighbor from soaking shared yard space.

Option 2: Hook up RODI system from indoor sink or outdoor spigot (depending on pipe fitting options. We have a kitchen sink with a spray head, not quite sure how this will work, so we may still have to use the outdoor spigot) and put water into large trash can with wheeled base to move water from filling area to tank. Get a small pump to pump water from trash can to tank.
Pros: Still fairly easy, don’t need to figure out how to get hose through window
Cons: Wastewater problem from above if using outdoor spigot and moving wheeled trash can over elevation change between back porch and into house
Pros: If we can figure out how to attach to kitchen sink, waste water problem is solved, moving water from filling area to tank will be easy as we have a tiled house

Option 3: Purchasing RODI from nearby LFS and transporting back to the house
Pros: No worries about waste water, cheaper
Cons: Multiple trips to/from LFS, transporting and carrying 5 gallon buckets from the car to the tank

Does anyone have any other ideas or tricks that have worked for them?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it even worse. I ran my RO system in my basement, and filled garbage cans. I then carried 180 gallons of saltwater upstairs, 5 gallons at a time. I used one of those 5 gallon water cooler water jugs. It was not easy. But it can be done.

I suggest the rolling garbage can method. Sounds like the easiest for you (option 2). Where do you plan on permanently mounting your RO for water changes and evaporation make up? Garage, basement? Just use that place and carry it one bucket at a time.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose into window from spigot, adapter to RODI (in room with tank, or near a sink). Run RODI output to tank, waste line to sink -- make sure to clamp both in place very well. :)

I pre-made my water in the basement (50G drums) and then lugged the 150+ gallons up to the tank. Two Home Depot buckets each time.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose into window from spigot, adapter to RODI (in room with tank, or near a sink). Run RODI output to tank, waste line to sink -- make sure to clamp both in place very well. :)

I pre-made my water in the basement (50G drums) and then lugged the 150+ gallons up to the tank. Two Home Depot buckets each time.
Absopure water 5 gallon jugs with caps are safer.
:cool:

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what I did....first fill....tap water from hose...Seachem prime to remove chlorine. I cant imagine how long it would take to fill 88 gallons right from the RODI unit unless you have a very efficient one and even then its hours of fill time. But your running a redsea...your RODI unit will be much better then mine lol.

EDIT: I have really good water quality where im at even out of the tap...remove the Chems and its only like 4 TDS. Not sure what yours is

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You carried two five gallon buckets of water at a time :O

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the ro line to reach your tank from basement or wherever you're mounting your ro system. Idk about the redsea tanks but I 1st filled mine with tap water in my garage to check for leaks(found one draining to the overflow chamber. Are redsea's leakproof? I have no experience with them

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a laundry sink near washer/dryer? Mount RODI there, run good water to tank and waste water into laundry sink

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This, you can buy water line cheap at any hardware store, I filled my tank this way with 65 foot of wastewater line running to a utility sink

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would agree with routing waste water to a sink drain or maybe to a part of the yard with better drainage (1/4" RODI hose is pretty inexpensive like $10 for 50 feet at most hardware stores)

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You carried two five gallon buckets of water at a time :O

Yeah... it made for a fun day. I'm a glutton for punishment.

I still do it, but now it's only 20gal (two trips with two buckets) every other week. But now I have to take the "old" 20g (two trips, two buckets) out to the street to dump. We're on septic here so I don't want the salt going into the tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Since you are planning ahead I think we might want to think outside the 425XL box?
Here's what you do-Free Pro Tip! :) Get a fleet of Brute trash cans, wheels or not, your choice. Put enough of these temporary water towers close to where the tank is going to be set-up. Connect your RODI filter outside and make pure water for a few hours each day while filling one or two of those Brute cans that you have sitting outside. You can use some of the other Brutes to catch the wastewater, or just let it run until the ground gets damp and then shut the filter off for a few minutes to let the ground catch up. This is gonna work great either way. Your neighbor does not get impacted while you get ready.

The water is going to need to come indoors, which is where your man gets to fill in this supply train hauling buckets from Brute outside to Brute inside. As you get Brute inside filled, you can start mixing salt into the water and then add your (Dry, Life, live) rock into the barrel get your cycle started while you wait for the tank to arrive. This will put you days ahead in the race to get your reef going. I think this is a real plus.

More details. With the RODI running wastewater into your temporary reservoir of Brute cans, when you have all the water made that you will need you can just drain them carefully to keep the neighborhood dry and happy, or if you have a local rainstorm (or even just some heavy fog?) you can just cut it all loose late at night and it will blend right in. No one else in the neighborhood has to ever know!

Make sure you keep the receipt from your local Home hardware store. Wipe those Brutes dry and return them all when you are done, or maybe keep one or two for making up RODI and mixing salt for your new tank.

There ya go! Don't forget to start a build thread with lots of pictures.

You will get a lot of advice on here. You don't have to say; "Thank You (for all of it)."

Good Times Fun GIF by MOODMAN

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tap into the cold water line under sink and waste water to drain. Save some for the house plants

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1606188451480.jpeg

1606188613698.png

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When filling my Red Sea Max E-260, our downstairs bathroom is right next to the tank, I put product line into tank and waste line into sink and filled tank part way. Put hypersaline water then live sand, the rocks, then filled tank and added salt as necessary to get 35ppm.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look into some of your LFS nearby. One near me does first time fill ups for only the cost of water. Brings his van to your house and Pumps premixed saltwater into your tank. Way easier than getting to make that much salt for the first time fill.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back