Possible Dumb Question - Filling the Tank the First Time?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... it made for a fun day. I'm a glutton for punishment.

I still do it, but now it's only 20gal (two trips with two buckets) every other week. But now I have to take the "old" 20g (two trips, two buckets) out to the street to dump. We're on septic here so I don't want the salt going into the tank.
Haha impressive.

Has the salt in septic thing ever really been proven to be an issue? I thought urine had as much, if not more, salt?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine under the sink. Its easy. Home Depot has all the fittings. Brute trash can on wheels, Home Depot RO.jpg has that as well.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha impressive.

Has the salt in septic thing ever really been proven to be an issue? I thought urine had as much, if not more, salt?

Salt into your septic tank seems to be one of those "religious" reefing debates. Or the old "ask 10 people, get 11 different answers" type of questions.

I'd rather not risk it, and I can use the exercise, so I just lug the buckets.

When I had my old tank (here in my home office) with a 100G sump + 40B plumbed down in the basement I had it set up so I could connect a garden hose, flip a value, and drain old water out into the woods. Then I'd just pump the water from the mix bucket over into the 100G sump. Easy peasy. Maybe I should cut the wall back open. lol.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt into your septic tank seems to be one of those "religious" reefing debates. Or the old "ask 10 people, get 11 different answers" type of questions.

I'd rather not risk it, and I can use the exercise, so I just lug the buckets.

When I had my old tank (here in my home office) with a 100G sump + 40B plumbed down in the basement I had it set up so I could connect a garden hose, flip a value, and drain old water out into the woods. Then I'd just pump the water from the mix bucket over into the 100G sump. Easy peasy. Maybe I should cut the wall back open. lol.
Sounds like that was a pretty sweet setup.

I only have a 40 Breeder, so I'm tossing maybe 10 gallons down the toilet every week, or two.

I also don't live on a street with any gutters nearby, so that's not really an option. Here's hoping it's diluted enough with all the other water we use!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back