Possible dumb skimmer question?

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody possibly a dumb question.

I am about to install an aquamaxx HOB 1.5 on my 45 gallon jbj aio. Since it is currently just running with a refugium, I think this is going to make a big difference in water quality. I have been looking at wet versus dry skimming and this has led me to a question. When the skimmate is collected in the top of the skimmer with some water, is that liquid freshwater or saltwater? As in, would I need to be replacing it with saltwater or would my ATO just be doing more work replacing the freshwater?

I might add I was thinking of going dry since it may seem slightly less efficient, which I want due to having soft corals and also a chaeto refugium.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody possibly a dumb question.

I am about to install an aquamaxx HOB 1.5 on my 45 gallon jbj aio. Since it is currently just running with a refugium, I think this is going to make a big difference in water quality. I have been looking at wet versus dry skimming and this has led me to a question. When the skimmate is collected in the top of the skimmer with some water, is that liquid freshwater or saltwater? As in, would I need to be replacing it with saltwater or would my ATO just be doing more work replacing the freshwater?

I might add I was thinking of going dry since it may seem slightly less efficient, which I want due to having soft corals and also a chaeto refugium.
Your ato will take care of that

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stuff is fish crap and it doesn't smell fresh at all :) - it is saltwater and yuck. but yes, your ato will refill the tank. you will need to keep an eye on salinity as it will (all else being equal) start to creep down. i personally prefer dry skim (thicker) as it seems to be less maintenance (water fluctuations).

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stuff is fish crap and it doesn't smell fresh at all :) - it is saltwater and yuck. but yes, your ato will refill the tank. you will need to keep an eye on salinity as it will (all else being equal) start to creep down. i personally prefer dry skim (thicker) as it seems to be less maintenance (water fluctuations).
Haha gotcha, so it is pulling saltwater and being replaced with freshwater from my ATO then. So on a 40 gallon tank with weekly 30% water changes would I have to worry about serious drops in salinity?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can if Murphy drops by when you are on vacation and your skimmer overflows and dumps water on the floor and your over sized ATO keep filling your tank, but I believe that you have a good skimmer and that it is not possible with yours, maybe someone with your brand of skimmer can chime in on that.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can if Murphy drops by when you are on vacation and your skimmer overflows and dumps water on the floor and your over sized ATO keep filling your tank, but I believe that you have a good skimmer and that it is not possible with yours, maybe someone with your brand of skimmer can chime in on that.
I assumed the amount of skimmate wouldn't change it too much, but only worried because it isn't a huge total water volume. That makes sense though and the reviews for mine so far have yet to list that as a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back