Possible foxface problems

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface in quarantine currently on the second dose of prazi and I've just noticed him twitching a bit when swimming kinda looks like he's trying to shake an itch. Also have seen him hovering right under the overflow from the hang on back filter.
I'm seeing a couple white spots on him but I honestly can't tell if it's anything or just bubbles and they really don't show up in photos for me to get a pic of them..
Does this sound like anything to you guys? I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid..
I plan to start copper after this dose of prazi is finished.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic would be helpful. Swimming into flow is a sign of velvet. If you are seeing small white spots you may want to start copper sooner.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic I just took but like I said spots don't show up..
I started seeing spots yesterday but only a couple and I'm not sure if they're in the same spots today or if they're different 'spots' or if they're nothing at all..
19197e1809477a773085f0bc3aad0576.jpg

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a pic from yesterday but I'm not sure if those bright white spots are what I was worried about yesterday or if they are just bubbles in front of the fish in that pic..
3049272c21a3de758b3c20ed113a8ab4.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces have a very good defense against ich and velvet. They have a thick slime coat that protects them.... and if that wasn't enough there is evidence that they also have a property in their slime coat that actually repels ich to a point. That's not to say they can't get either parasite, but it's got to be pretty darn severe for them to show signs. I would suspect that he has one or the other and it hasn't gotten bad enough to show outwards signs very well. If the last dose of prazi was more than 24 hours ago, do a water change and start copper. Prazi only needs 24 hours to do it's work so you won't be cutting it short.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do a water change tomorrow and get copper started.
Should I still ramp it up over 3 days or do I need to get it to therapeutic quicker?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do a water change tomorrow and get copper started.
Should I still ramp it up over 3 days or do I need to get it to therapeutic quicker?

You'll have to assess him in the morning before the water change. I suspect you'll need to get it up fairly quick though.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference is there any reason to wait a week between prazi doses/before starting copper if prazi only takes 24 hours?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference is there any reason to wait a week between prazi doses/before starting copper if prazi only takes 24 hours?

Yes, waiting the week allows any eggs to hatch and be killed by the next round before they can lay their own eggs. Waiting to start copper is a personal decision that usually has more to do with caution than anything else. You can combine the two treatments if done carefully and if needed. We usually advise doing them separately if there isn't a need to do them together since there can be problems if enough care isn't taken.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, waiting the week allows any eggs to hatch and be killed by the next round before they can lay their own eggs. Waiting to start copper is a personal decision that usually has more to do with caution than anything else. You can combine the two treatments if done carefully and if needed. We usually advise doing them separately if there isn't a need to do them together since there can be problems if enough care isn't taken.
Ok thanks

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had him at therapeutic copper levels since last night and things look good so far but should I be concerned that he won't touch any foods except algae sheets? He devours algae sheets but won't eat anything else. I've tried frozen, flakes, pellets..
I know they're grazers but I thought he would eat more then just that

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had him at therapeutic copper levels since last night and things look good so far but should I be concerned that he won't touch any foods except algae sheets? He devours algae sheets but won't eat anything else. I've tried frozen, flakes, pellets..
I know they're grazers but I thought he would eat more then just that

As long as he's eating then he should be fine. The algae sheets are the best thing for him. Continue to try meaty foods as well though. What level is the copper at? What kind of copper are you using and what test kit do you have?

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as he's eating then he should be fine. The algae sheets are the best thing for him. Continue to try meaty foods as well though. What level is the copper at? What kind of copper are you using and what test kit do you have?
Copper is at 1.73ppm using coppersafe with Hanna checker
Do you think I should stop giving algae sheets for a couple days to see if he will take to something else?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is at 1.73ppm using coppersafe with Hanna checker
Do you think I should stop giving algae sheets for a couple days to see if he will take to something else?

Ok, the copper level is fine. NO! Keep feeding him the algae sheets for sure! If you want to do anything extra then soak the sheets in vitamins like selcon or vitachem.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also try a "nori burrito": Wrap your fave frozen food in nori, and rubberband it to a rock. As he snacks on the nori, he may pick up some of the frozen as well.

Nori sheets are among the best foods for foxface, so if he's only going to eat one thing - they're a good thing to eat!

~Bruce

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin that eats nothing but nori and has been that way for months. I have recently started soaking nori in Zoecon because of this. He has HLLE.

Back