Possible internal parasite?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I mashed up some crushed garlic and garlic juice into the med/food mix and they went for it a little bit--they each took a small nibble of frozen worms. They're pretty small clownfish, about an inch long--do you think a nibble is enough to get the meds in them?

Another update: I managed to get mashed-up frozen worm juice on me while I was making this concoction. [emoji33] BRB gonna take a shower [emoji23]
You can go to a natural food store and the store should have garlic oil. one drop of garlic oil would be good, you can also try baby brine shrimp, they are tiny.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for all the help, everybody! So far the clowns are eating the soaked food now that I have added some garlic juice to the mix! Hopefully I will keep on having more good news to report. [emoji3]

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sad to report that the littlest clownfish hasn't eaten for the last two days. I'm worried he's not eating and worried he's not getting the medicine.

I'm thinking since he's not eating anymore it would be advisable to QT him and treat the water?

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about the lil clown, I don't wanna say yes or no to the question as I'm till a newbie but I do wanna follow this to learn a bit more.

Goodluck and hope everything turns out ok

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking since he's not eating anymore it would be advisable to QT him and treat the water?
Yes, SW fish drink sea water so he will have to ingest the medication that way. They also absorb water (and any medications contained therein) through their skin and gills. Not as ideal as food soaking in this situation, but it will have to do. o_O

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, SW fish drink sea water so he will have to ingest the medication that way. They also absorb water (and any medications contained therein) through their skin and gills. Not as ideal as food soaking in this situation, but it will have to do. o_O

Thank you, @Humblefish! I'll get on it.

He's looking pale this morning. Poor little guy.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question--should I put both of the clownfish into the QT, or just the sick one?

The bigger one is eating the medicated food well and seems healthy, but I don't want the fish to be extra stressed without their buddy around....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question--should I put both of the clownfish into the QT, or just the sick one?

The bigger one is eating the medicated food well and seems healthy, but I don't want the fish to be extra stressed without their buddy around....

I would treat them both. Odds are the bigger one ate some poop from the smaller one, and as gross as that sounds it's how intestinal worms are spread. o_O

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them both. Odds are the bigger one ate some poop from the smaller one, and as gross as that sounds it's how intestinal worms are spread. o_O

Thank you! I will do that.

OK, so just one more question [emoji6]...

I have a bit of a conundrum.

I could put the QT across the room from the DT (it would be farther than the recommended 10 feet), but I think I could fit only a 5 gallon tank there. (The tank would have to be on a counter and I'm not sure it could support the weight of a heavier tank.)

OR I could set up a 10-20 gallon tank...right next to the DT. I really can't think of anywhere else I can put the tank. I already have almost every inch of space taken up by my freshwater tanks. [emoji23]

Which would you do? Bigger QT near the DT or smaller QT farther away?

Edit to add: I think I might have answered my own question...I think I might as well put the bigger QT next to the DT this time since IPs couldn't be airbrone....

Last edited:
OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this morning stinks already at it's only 7 a.m. here.

I couldn't get the hospital tank set up last night because of a heater problem, so I was hoping they'd make it till the morning.

I woke up to find one of the poor clowns lying on the tank bottom. I just moved it to the hospital tank but it doesn't look good.

And the other clown...I cannot find ANYWHERE.

I removed all of my rocks, looked in the sand, and looked in the back chambers of the BioCube and this poor fish is nowhere to be found!

If it died overnight, would the nassarius snails and skunk cleaner shrimp (and possibly the other fish, I guess) eat it all that fast??

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it died overnight, would the nassarius snails and skunk cleaner shrimp (and possibly the other fish, I guess) eat it all that fast??

Nassarius snails can make quick work of a dead body. :(

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails can make quick work of a dead body. :(

Oh man. Well, I guess I'm glad the fish didn't suffer long at least. :(

The other is lying on the bottom of the hospital tank looking very pale. I feel so bad for the poor fish.

I have another possibly dumb question now....by putting the fish in my DT with live rock and sand, have I now contaminated the tank with internal parasites? Or do they need fish in order to survive? (They won't stay in the tank without fish?)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. Well, I guess I'm glad the fish didn't suffer long at least. :(

The other is lying on the bottom of the hospital tank looking very pale. I feel so bad for the poor fish.

I have another possibly dumb question now....by putting the fish in my DT with live rock and sand, have I now contaminated the tank with internal parasites? Or do they need fish in order to survive? (They won't stay in the tank without fish?)

They need fish to survive. A fallow period will cover your bases of course. 76 days will cover everything including ick. 6 weeks would cover everything except ick. Of course, doing a water change and sucking out any poo on the sand or rocks will do wonders since it spreads in the poo.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need fish to survive. A fallow period will cover your bases of course. 76 days will cover everything including ick. 6 weeks would cover everything except ick. Of course, doing a water change and sucking out any poo on the sand or rocks will do wonders since it spreads in the poo.

That's great info. Thank you, @melypr1985!

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONE more question please (thank you all!!) :) I've googled and seen differing answers....

Will my skunk cleaner shrimp and snails be infected with the IPs now? How would I treat them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my skunk cleaner shrimp and snails be infected with the IPs now? How would I treat them?

No they shouldn't be. Simply leave them in the display along with your corals. The absence of fish will take care of it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 100 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 107 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.6%
Back