Possible maroon clownfish agression

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b with a maroon clown and a watchman goby. The last two fish I had were a damsel (lasted 3 days) and a six line (lasted 3 weeks). After looking at every option on what is going wrong with newly introduced fish my best guess is the clownfish attacked. The symptoms of both fish were gasping for air and they both died within a day of the symptoms. My clown attacks my hands but I’ve never seen aggression towards other fish, the clown and sixline literally swam together All day long like they were friends. I had no major parameter problems and my clown and watchman are complely Fine which makes me think there was no parameter issue or disease. The wrasse was bigger and faster than the clown I don’t see why it would have gotten attacked. Is my clown being bad when I’m not looking?? Why I didn’t see any visible marks frock attacks, why would there be gasping for air? Please help me get to the bottom of this!

Picture of wrasse In it’s final moments.

887E4948-17AC-495D-BAE7-1A6CD44E69AC.png

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your maroon killed them there would be very visible evidence, you'd see it happening, and fins would be tattered.

Yours I suspect is another issue, maybe post in disease forum.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect something has invaded their gills, either ich, flukes, or so on. Did you QT your fish before putting them into your DT?

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect something has invaded their gills, either ich, flukes, or so on. Did you QT your fish before putting them into your DT?
I did not but I just set one up and will be doing it from now on, is it weird that whatever it is isn’t effecting the other fish?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not but I just set one up and will be doing it from now on, is it weird that whatever it is isn’t effecting the other fish?

Odds are it will affect the other fish eventually. Some fish are more tolerant of illnesses than others but eventually most will fall ill it is a matter of time.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what your water parameters were when you lost the fish, or what they are now.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what your water parameters were when you lost the fish, or what they are now.
I had a .25 ammonia spike possiblly from new rock or re aquascaping the lfs said that a low amount of ammonia is bad but wouldn’t kill the fish, would a parasite kill the fish over night?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a .25 ammonia spike possiblly from new rock or re aquascaping the lfs said that a low amount of ammonia is bad but wouldn’t kill the fish, would a parasite kill the fish over night?

The parasite doesn’t kill overnight but if that’s what it was had infected the fish prior. I believe ich takes 4-7 days and I think gill flukes are faster. I’m pretty sure velvet can kill in 24 hours but your fish would have looked like it was covered in velvet. I would recheck your parameters and get a QT set up. Do or did any of the fish have pinched stomachs? Any spots? Or was it just the rapid breathing?

How long after your test for ammonia that read .25 did your fish start showing symptoms? Did. You do a water change following that reading? High ammonia can cause rapid breathing, ammonia burns in the gills and death.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parasite doesn’t kill overnight but if that’s what it was had infected the fish prior. I believe ich takes 4-7 days and I think gill flukes are faster. I’m pretty sure velvet can kill in 24 hours but your fish would have looked like it was covered in velvet. I would recheck your parameters and get a QT set up. Do or did any of the fish have pinched stomachs? Any spots? Or was it just the rapid breathing?
Just rapid breathing I didn’t see any spots or red gills

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rapid breathing I didn’t see any spots or red gills

Ok, what test did you use for ammonia? API? They are known for being a little off and not completely accurate.
Either way I would do a W/C get your ammonia to 0, get a QT ready, watch your fish and get ready to treat them if this starts again.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what test did you use for ammonia? API? They are known for being a little off and not completely accurate.
Either way I would do a W/C get your ammonia to 0, get a QT ready, watch your fish and get ready to treat them if this starts again.
I used api at my house and had a lfs do it and got the same results I threw some prime in and it helped reduce the ammonia. Do you have any recommendations on medication, I never had a sick fish before these two?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used api at my house and had a lfs do it and got the same results I threw some prime in and it helped reduce the ammonia. Do you have any recommendations on medication, I never had a sick fish before these two?

What fish are still in the tank?

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
What fish are still in the tank?
marron clown and watchman, the damsel died about 2 months ago the same way the wrasse did a couple days ago which makes me think it’s not a parasite and possibly be the clown because my other fish are still fine

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M

marron clown and watchman, the damsel died about 2 months ago the same way the wrasse did a couple days ago which makes me think it’s not a parasite and possibly be the clown because my other fish are still fine

If the clown had killed them I would think you would see signs of fighting, tattered fins, injuries etc. I’m not saying it’s not possible but I think your best bet is to repost this in “fish disease diagnosis and treatment “ forum. Some of those guys are truly experts at figuring this out.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown had killed them I would think you would see signs of fighting, tattered fins, injuries etc. I’m not saying it’s not possible but I think your best bet is to repost this in “fish disease diagnosis and treatment “ forum. Some of those guys are truly experts at figuring this out.
Thanks I’ll give it a try!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back